Ridiculous article

Discuss the Greater Manchester Parkour scene and organise events and meet-ups in and around Manchester.

Ridiculous article

Postby Dave » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:21 pm

This article was posted on facebook and I thought it was hilarious. Since it was taken down from it's original site, I thought I'd keep a copy here for posterity.

------------

It's no walk in the parkour: Manchester free-running practitioners put city at forefront of UK scene

Posted Thursday, November 22, 2012 - 09:53
By Mancunian Matters staff

The urban craze of ‘free running’, known as parkour, is sweeping the nation and Manchester practitioners claim they are at the forefront of the movement in the UK. We even have a parkour star in the movies...

Parkour is a discipline which involves climbing, running and jumping to negotiate the surrounding environment.

The word parkour originates from the French words ‘parc’ and ‘courir’, meaning park running, and was developed from military course training in France.

It takes a combination of speed, power and bravery as practitioners, known as ‘traceurs’, tackle the landscape in a number of unorthodox ways.

Dan Fisher, director and owner of Evolve Manchester gym, hosts special parkour classes and insists the popularity of the sport is increasing.

“It’s urban gymnastics. Getting from A to B as fast as possible but putting a bit of flair into it. You become more animalistic with the way you move your body,” said the 25-year-old.

He added: “The sport is pretty popular. Between 2002 and 2012 it has gone mad. Programmes on the TV like Move England and films really helped to build the sport up.”

Manchester even has a movie star of its own with Evolve Manchester teacher Hung Dong working as a parkour stuntman on the latest James Bond film, Skyfall.

A Manchester-based parkour practitioner, known only as 'Skull', claims the city has some of the most exciting 'traceurs' in the country.

Skull said: "Manchester is perfect for those of us into parkour. The buildings and architecture lend themselves well to the sport and there is a real camaraderie among the parkour community.

"Over the last five years in particular, our numbers have swelled unbelievably. Though it isn't a sport for everyone, and it's certainly not one people should get into without proper care and training.

"You could easily die doing parkour - so you should definitely take things slowly. It isn't a game for kids."

And what is it exactly about parkour which gets the adrenaline pumping?

“It is amazing to watch, especially with precision jumps, vaults and flips. I’ve been doing it for about a year now and it takes a lot of time to get to a good level,” explained Dan, who is from Heywood.

“There is an element of putting your life at risk, so it is better to build up gradually.”

“At the moment for me it is a hobby, but I would like to progress further.”
So as you are walking around Manchester keep an eye out for these gravity defying thrill-seekers, leaping and flying between buildings.
To get involved at Evolve Gym, visit their Facebook page here.
~ Dave

Trying to be a helping hand from NorthernParkour and the British Parkour Coaching Association
Dave
Alliance

Re: Ridiculous article

Postby Dave » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:25 pm

...and the comments, because the first one is quite fun too:

------------------------------

Also of interest...
Submitted by Anonymous on Sun, 2012-12-02 16:14.
The internet craze of ‘falsifying’, known as Journalism, is sweeping the nation and Manchester writers claim they are at the forefront of inaccurate article writing. We even have a falsifier in the movies…
Journalism is an activity which involves writing articles with minimal background research, and filling in the gaps using purely your own imagination.
The word journalism originates from the words ‘journal’ and ‘falsism’, and was developed by a group of writers working to deadlines, who were unwilling to put the time into researching accurate information.
It takes a combination of deviance, creative licence and deceit to successfully author seemingly believable articles, which to the average reader would seem to be accurate.
Richard Head, a journalist at Mancunian Matters, hosts special Falsifying classes and insists the popularity of writing made up articles is increasing.
“It’s word gymnastics. Getting from the top of the page to the bottom as fast as possible but putting a bit of flair into it. You become more animalistic in your approach to reasoning,” said the 25-year old.
He added: “The activity is pretty popular. Between 1980 and 2012 it has gone mad. Programmes on the TV like The Leveson Inquiry and films really helped to build the activity up.”
Manchester even has a movie star of its own with Mancunian Matters journalist Ho Chi Minh blagging his way onto the set of the latest James Bond film, Skyfall.
A Manchester-based journalist, known only as ‘Bone’, claims the city has some of the most exciting ‘falsifiers’ in the country.
Bone said: “Manchester is perfect for those of us into falsifying articles. The public almost never question what we write, and so anything goes really!
“Over the last five years in particular, our numbers have swelled unbelievably, and so has the ludicrousness of the stuff we’re putting out.
“When we have a deadline to meet, it’s every man for himself, and we have a good old chuckle amongst ourselves about some of the rubbish we come up with!”
And what is it exactly about falsifying which gets the creative juices flowing?
“It’s the pay packet, and getting to the pub straight after work! Who wants to spend time researching something, when you could have the article done and dusted in half the time?
“There is an element of putting your credibility at risk, so it is better to build up the nonsense gradually.

This article does not
Submitted by Anonymous on Sat, 2012-11-24 18:30.
This article does not represent anyone in the Parkour community.

Riddled with inaccuracies
Submitted by Anonymous on Sat, 2012-11-24 18:11.
This article is full of inaccuracies. 'You could easily die doing parkour'. Could you? You're obviously doing it completely wrong then. I've never seen anyone die whilst practicing parkour.
There was no such TV show as 'Move England'. There was Jump London and Jump Britain.
'It isn't a game for kids'. It's not a game, but kids can practice parkour perfectly safely with the correct guidance. Once you understand what parkour is, you'll know that it's about personal improvement and not risky moves.
Also the term 'park running' has never existed. 'Parkour' as a name came from 'Parcours Du Combatant', which were military obstacle courses.

Huttman
Submitted by Anonymous on Sat, 2012-11-24 01:09.
We are a group of volunteers as well as starting a brand new scheme within community. Your blog offered usa with important info to get results on. You must have done an impressive career and our whole network will be recognized to you.
~ Dave

Trying to be a helping hand from NorthernParkour and the British Parkour Coaching Association
Dave
Alliance

Postby Dave » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:27 pm

...and the response to an inquiring e-mail:

----------------------------------

Hi Scott,

Firstly, please accept my apologies for not getting back to you sooner - had a hectic end to last week!

Thank you for getting in touch to let me know your thoughts on the piece. I am sorry you feel it is not representative to the parkour community in Manchester - and I would like to seek to rectify that as soon as possible.

Just to clear up why it may not have been up to the standard of some of MM's other work, we do take on a number of trainee journalists to provide them with the essential work experience they need in the industry and occasionally set them tasks to give them a challenge (to get them used to writing for tight deadlines). In this instance they had to find a story in a tight time frame and it was on a unusual topic, as a bit of a challenge.

They came up with the one on parkour, and while I thought it was a great subject for them to get their teeth into, due to the time constraints for that particular exercise they clearly had some problems with it - which is a shame, and no doubt the basis of some of your grievances. However, it certainly was not malicious on their part - they were simply working under strict time conditions and weren't able to check facts as much as they might usually. Plus, the reporter you spoke to was a trainee, and not one of our full time staff members.

Anyway, apologies for any inconvenience this has caused you or your colleagues. I have now unpublished the story and would greatly appreciate it if I could get a reporter to get in touch with you and produce a piece that accurately reflects the parkour community in Manchester, and one that you guys are happy with. In fact, if you were kind enough to host a reporter to come down and meet some of you guys, watch you at work, get a few photos etc, that really would be perfect. I hope this would go some way to set things straight too.

Let me know your thoughts anyway, and again, thank you for bringing the problem to my attention.

All the best,
~ Dave

Dave
Alliance

Postby Oldboy » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:16 pm

Some say that his voice can only be heard by cats, and that he has two sets of knees...All we know is he's called The Skull.
Oldboy
Local Area Moderator

Return to Greater Manchester Talk