anyone willing to take part in some research?

Discuss the Greater Manchester Parkour scene and organise events and meet-ups in and around Manchester.

anyone willing to take part in some research?

Postby rachel. » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:06 pm

hello,
i'm doing a sociology masters at MMU, and looking at the way people reclaim/ re-appropriate urban spaces. i wondered if anyone might be able to take part in some research in the next couple of weeks.
happy to discuss in more detail if anyone thinks they might be able to help.
thanks
rachel.
Traceur

Re: anyone willing to take part in some research?

Postby Obsidian » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:15 am

I'd be happy to help. Please can you give us some more information on what the research will involve? We train 3 times a week in Manchester, so if you want to pop down to one of our training sessions, we can discuss it further.

Training times are:

Tuesday evening starting at 6pm
Thursday evening starting at 6pm
Saturday starting at 10:30am

We meet outside Morton Lab, which is part of the University (formerly UMIST), directly opposite the MacDonald hotel off London Road.
Correct the wise man and he will thank you. Correct the fool and he will attack you.
http://obsidianpkav.blogspot.com/
Obsidian

Postby rachel. » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:11 pm

hi obsidian, thanks for replying so quickly.
would be great to come along if that's ok- i'll aim for the week after this, probably tuesday 11th if that suits and you'll be at training then.
my research tends to be fairly unstructured as i like to be led by what interviewees think is important. the areas i'm interested in are what parkour means to you and how it affects the way you feel about and view urban landscapes. i know some people are more into the philosophy of parkour than others, so it can be as philosophical or as practical as you like.
as my approach is flexible, the interviews can be as long or as short as you like. i'll normally record any interviews, unless anyone particularly doesn't want me to. interviews are confidential and i'll make sure no individual can be identified by information i use.
thanks again for your willingness to take part.
rachel
rachel.
Traceur

Postby Obsidian » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:56 pm

Sorry for the late reply. I'll be in London on the 11th, so won't be training in Manchester. I will be out the following Tuesday though (the 18th), so come along then if it's convenient for you.

I think we can probably find a few other people who would be happy to be interviewed too.

See you soon.
Correct the wise man and he will thank you. Correct the fool and he will attack you.
Obsidian

Postby rachel. » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:26 pm

that's perfect, thanks. i'll come along on tuesday 18th (just after 6 as i'm working until then, will you still be near Morton Lab?) and chat to anyone who's got a few minutes to spare and is willing. how long do you normally train for?
what's your name so i know who to ask for?
thanks again,
rachel.
rachel.
Traceur

Postby Obsidian » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:21 pm

We usually move to other locations after a few minutes, but we'll hang on there until you arrive. We train for at least 3 hours on a Tuesday evening. My name is Paul Maunder.

See you on the 18th!
Obsidian

Postby Obsidian » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:24 pm

Actually, some work has just come in which means I'll be in London on the 18th. I'll be training tonight though if you can make it, or all day Saturday.
Obsidian

Postby rachel. » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:59 pm

Thanks Paul- interviewing someone else this evening, but Saturday is perfect. Will see you there and then!
Rachel
rachel.
Traceur

Postby Obsidian » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:31 pm

No problem. See you on Saturday.
Obsidian

Postby rachel. » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:29 pm

Hi Paul,
Just wanted to say thank you to you and to everyone who helped with my research on Saturday. I've transcribed the interviews now and they're all so interesting and thought provoking, you've given me lots of really great information and insight.
Also wanted to say how much I appreciated how inviting and friendly everyone was.
My email address is rachelgboyd@hotmail.co.uk, if anyone's interested in seeing what I come up with please get in touch and I am happy to share once it's finished (October sometime)
Rachel
rachel.
Traceur

Postby rachel. » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:28 pm

Not sure how active this board is, but just wanted to say that I finally got my marks back for my dissertation and pleased to say it went well. The comments from the examiners all mentioned how rich the interviews were and how interesting the stories people told- I'd love to claim the credit, but that part is down to you guys. Thanks again for your help.
Rachel
rachel.
Traceur

Return to Greater Manchester Talk