The fear of doing flips.

For discussion of the non-physical side of parkour.

The fear of doing flips.

Postby xgeneration » Thu May 05, 2011 5:38 am

Yeah,the title said it all. Can't conquer my fear to do flips :S
xgeneration
Traceur

Re: The fear of doing flips.

Postby playhater » Thu May 05, 2011 2:25 pm

don't do flips then
Its Not Arrogance, It's Destiny
playhater
Traceur

Postby xgeneration » Thu May 05, 2011 2:51 pm

Good advice.
xgeneration
Traceur

Postby HullTraceur » Thu May 05, 2011 8:30 pm

that doesn't help does it -.- and i used to have the same problem it's just doing that first flip after that your fine if you can get a mat or summat to practice on first that helps if not just go for it :)
Don't believe what your eyes are telling you, all they show is limitation, look with your understanding find out what you already know and then you'll see the way to FLY
HullTraceur
Traceur

Postby Rob-F » Thu May 05, 2011 9:10 pm

If you're afraid of doing flips, then you don't have what is known in the community as the 'F' factor. AKA the flips factor.
There is no way to overcome this.
Rob-F
Traceur

Postby HullTraceur » Thu May 05, 2011 9:22 pm

not really if you accept you haven't got the 'f-factor' then your not going to be able to do it because you'll just bail all the time or give up. You have to rid yourself of insecurity and doubt to be able to succeed that is one of the fundamental points of parkour.
Don't believe what your eyes are telling you, all they show is limitation, look with your understanding find out what you already know and then you'll see the way to FLY
HullTraceur
Traceur

Postby David Bray » Thu May 05, 2011 10:33 pm

Flips are for pancakes.
David Bray
Traceur

Postby playhater » Fri May 06, 2011 2:45 pm

HullTraceur wrote:that doesn't help does it -.- and i used to have the same problem it's just doing that first flip after that your fine if you can get a mat or summat to practice on first that helps if not just go for it :)

xgeneration wrote:Good advice.

HullTraceur wrote:not really if you accept you haven't got the 'f-factor' then your not going to be able to do it because you'll just bail all the time or give up. You have to rid yourself of insecurity and doubt to be able to succeed that is one of the fundamental points of parkour.

Delete this thread these guys are writing utter sh-t.

n00bs
Its Not Arrogance, It's Destiny
playhater
Traceur

Postby Tom-F » Sat May 07, 2011 6:38 pm

Another word of advice for you,

I don't have the F factor (Tom-F no F factor, Rob-F plenty of F factor - go figure) and that's why I decided to quit parkour and concentrate on knitting. It's safer and the best thing about it is that most people are born with the K factor (at least that's what my grandma says).

Knitting leads to true happiness and i'll be happy if you join me in that path to greatness - i'll PM you details about courses around your area.

Love and Chaos,
Tom
Tom-F
Traceur

Postby Oldboy » Sat May 07, 2011 10:12 pm

xgeneration wrote:Yeah,the title said it all. Can't conquer my fear to do flips :S

It's possible your suffering from a rare condition called Fliphobia, which is an irational fear of doing flips. This is often confused with a similar condition called Extreme Flip Aversion which is causes anxiety when seeing others performing flips.

There are various ways that you can combat this disorder, for Extreme Flip Aversion one method is to visit a circus where 'Fr33 runners' perform and gradually increase your tolerance of them by moving closer at a pace which doesn't cause you too much anxiety. Eventually you may be able to get close enough that you can try feeding them, stroking them, or allow a Fr33 runner to flip over the top of your mobile phone.

If what your suffering from is Fliphobia then it may be useful to visualise the flip or break the process of flipping down into separate parts, take off, mid-flip, and landing to see which point causes you the most anxiety. Maybe watch some instructional videos or find some other flippers to help teach you. You could attempt flipping in a safe environment such as a gymnastics centre, flip into a swimming pool, try flipping underwater or even in zero gravity, some people even use masking tape to attach pillows all over their body so that they can flip in safely and build up confidence.
Oldboy
Local Area Moderator

Return to Parkour and the mind