What do you think?

For discussion of the non-physical side of parkour.

What do you think?

Postby MichaelT » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:40 pm

What do you think in your head when you're doing something that's testing your capabilities? What I mean is, when you're stood there looking at the spot you're going to jump to, or when you're about to kong over a huge gap, what iamges, words, thoughts etc are going through your head at the time?

Do you feel confident in yourself?
Do you feel scared but defiant of that fear?
Do you not feel anything, but just do it without emotion?

Personally I often find myself focusing on my bodily response (which will sadly be stress/fear) with no real thoughts going on, I think its interesting, maybe even important, to know what goes on in the head of someone who overcomes their obstacles :wink:
MichaelT
Traceur

Re: What do you think?

Postby jetpack » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:09 pm

Usually, I get the old thing where the jump looks a whole lot longer when I'm actually there. So I guess that would be fear.
jetpack
Traceur

Postby David Bray » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:38 pm

I get this sudden urge to jerk off. That's when I turn in Jetpack's direction
David Bray
Traceur

Postby jetpack » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:35 am

David Bray wrote:I get this sudden urge to jerk off. That's when I turn in Jetpack's direction

And this is where my anxiety comes from.
jetpack
Traceur

Postby Robin_a » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:51 pm

dammit bray where do you ever test your capabilities... other than the capacity for man love :wink:

if i'm really pushing myself i'm scared, more anxious really, i think about what i need to do, know i can do that, then think that i can't... i think about the worst outcome and mainly about my body not doing what i want it to(backing out or not committing). Then i try and just focus on the task, if its a precision then on the landing area, i tunnel vision that spot and just before i jump i have to remind my self if i put my all in it will be fine, if i jump hard my body will react.
Robin_a
Traceur

Postby playhater » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:45 pm

I get a load of thoughts to list them all would be h4rd.

If i'm scared i redebate with myself if i can do it, if i can then i adjust my breathing pattern and do that sh-t if not then i still have a good look so it stays on my mind so i will later know when i'm ready :)
Its Not Arrogance, It's Destiny
playhater
Traceur

Postby Conor » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:39 pm

Sometimes i think "This is unnecessary and there is a much easier, safer route somewhere" and sometimes i think "I am not ready for this" and sometimes i think "I can do this if i keep at it" but i never lose control, as that leads to accidents and injuries. I don't think i have ever felt fear in my movements, because i make sure that if it does go wrong, there is no risk of, should we say, breaking a bone or spraining an ankle. Instead i make sure the worst possibility is falling on my ass and hurting my pride in the process, but i quickly recover by trying again. Granted, there is always the risk of falling funny and really hurting yourself, but aslong as you remain in complete control and are aware of your surroundings, your body and your limits, the possibility of that happening are slim. Not impossible, but slim. As for pain, i get hit alot at martial arts, so i just work on the basis that failing a monkey vault and falling on my face can't be any worse than a reverse kick to the gut or a rising punch to the jaw lol!
Conor
Traceur

Return to Parkour and the mind