Fear.

For discussion of the non-physical side of parkour.

Fear.

Postby Dan.Wilson » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:59 pm

Iv recently been wanting to do an armjump thats quite far but within my abilities. yet every time i run to the edge and i just stop. I really want to do it though. PLease help me =[
Dan.Wilson
Traceur

Re: Fear.

Postby Robin_a » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:11 am

Do it!
Robin_a
Traceur

Postby Rob-F » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:08 pm

Robin_a wrote:Do it!
Rob-F
Traceur

Postby playhater » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:09 am

Rob-F wrote:
Robin_a wrote:Do it!
Its Not Arrogance, It's Destiny
playhater
Traceur

Postby dr.havoc » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:48 am

I think just doing it is all well and good with some things but for some jumps or other things that have a higher risk of injury. if i know i can't just go for it i then go abit smaller and build up to it.

repetition is the key :).
dr.havoc
Traceur

Postby Dan.Wilson » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:17 pm

iv done more dangerous jumps before, I feel like I have made it seem harder in my mind than it actually is.
Dan.Wilson
Traceur

Postby itbeme » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:55 am

dr.havoc wrote:repetition is the key :).

Best advice for almost every single point in life =D
Trying to get better and stronger with each day.
itbeme
Traceur

Postby gaz » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:59 am

Why do you want to do it?
gaz
Alliance

Postby freedom » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:54 pm

itbeme wrote:
dr.havoc wrote:repetition is the key :).

Best advice for almost every single point in life =D

Yep. Everything bar suicide :shock:
freedom
Traceur

Postby Will » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:54 pm

I don't think you should go out training with the mindset of I "must" do this jump this session or I have "failed." It's not going to help you do the jump, you're just putting more pressure on yourself and adding one more thing to worry about when you need to be focused 100% on doing the jump.

Another thing that would help is if you accept the fact that you might not make the jump and accept the fact that you could injure yourself trying. When you no longer care about the outcome there is nothing to be afraid of.
Will
Traceur

Postby Dan.Wilson » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:07 am

I'm unsure why i want to do it, i just feel like i need to push myself more often.
Dan.Wilson
Traceur

Postby David Bray » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:54 pm

I can push you. That's the easy part.
David Bray
Traceur

Postby gaz » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:57 am

There are techniques and short cuts such as breaking down the jump that could help you do this jump in particular but that's not what you need I think. I'm pretty sure everybody goes through this as part and parcel of parkour and unfortunately its something you have to do by yourself. I would definitely say that you should break it when your on your own instead of with a group. If you actually aren't ready then there are other ways to push yourself. Find something safe but scary and make yourself do it, again and again until you are either no longer scared or the fear is there but under your control. Often the reason we want to do it is because of the fear, otherwise you might as well be at home watching tv.

A lot of the time when I'm having these issues I have an internal dialoguewhich pretty much goes "I know I am scared but is it a rational or useful fear" ie am I sure I can do the Jump? if the answer is yes then "ok I can do the jump but is the fear going to cause me to fall or interrupt my technique?" If the answer is yes then "ok the Jump will be there tomorrow, go work on something else" if the answer is probably not then "do it you p**sy"

Sometimes you need to push, sometimes you need to wait, at the end of the day most of us want to be in this game for life so there's no hurry. The only rule is if you're going to go, do it for you not because you want to be as good as everybody else.
gaz
Alliance

Postby jetpack » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:02 pm

Make sure somebody's recording it on video, so if you do mess up then YouTube has another hilarious fail video. And if you succeed, then whenever you are scared in future, just watch that video of you doing it, and you will realise that you actually CAN do it.
jetpack
Traceur

Postby David Bray » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:56 pm

@Jetpack

Videos lie. There is no greater proof of this than the trailer to Star Wars Episode One The Phantom Menace.
David Bray
Traceur

Postby mcquade » Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:26 pm

jetpack wrote:Make sure somebody's recording it on video... then whenever you are scared in future, just watch that video of you doing it, and you will realise that you actually CAN do it.
What's wrong with remembering?

There is a satisfaction in catching a bail on film but you shouldn't film something if you think you are going to fail, that just adds an incentive to fail, never a good thing. However it doesn't sound like you think you will fail. In which case you have to find some way of breaking down that fear and overcoming it.
There are a few tricks you can do. Tricks like doing a similar one and imagining you're doing the scary one, or vice versa, or counting to 3, or "do it or go home for the day" etc. However these tricks can't help you overcome all your fears and eventually you realise it is cheating and you should basically overcome the fear by realising it is silly, it is irrational. Besides some of the 'tricks' can be dangerous and mean you do the movement with less focus.

Peace
Jumps first, internet discussion later... Much later.
mcquade
Traceur

Postby Robin_a » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:18 pm

mcquade wrote:
There is a satisfaction in catching a bail on film

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=yo ... H2VfJgeQIw
Robin_a
Traceur

Return to Parkour and the mind