Repetition is the key =D

For discussion of the non-physical side of parkour.

Repetition is the key =D

Postby itbeme » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:52 pm

heyya guys just thinking that something so obvious is so over looked by many people, if you repeat a move again and again you will get better at it right, so why is it that little repetition is seen when training in most cases, is it as effective or not?
Trying to get better and stronger with each day.
itbeme
Traceur

Re: Repetition is the key =D

Postby Dave » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:04 pm

Repetition is essential for understanding something properly both on a physical and mental level. Our surface thoughts can adapt to new movements quickly, and can see where to use them when we're thinking about it at that moment, but things only become a natural and adaptable part of ourselves once they form a significant part of our experience.

People often forget about repetition because they are focused only on a single achievement and forget that the purpose of training is to be able to do these things on demand rather than as a one-off. Remember that Parkour is trying to teach you things that have lasting benefit and you'll have more use for repetition.
~ Dave

Trying to be a helping hand from NorthernParkour and the British Parkour Coaching Association
Dave
Alliance

Postby Capo » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:12 pm

itbeme wrote:heyya guys just thinking that something so obvious is so over looked by many people, if you repeat a move again and again you will get better at it right, so why is it that little repetition is seen when training in most cases, is it as effective or not?

Repetition is very important and it's what we in Liverpool use as our hardest training method. Be careful with flips though if you over-drill them its easy to lose the technique
Capo
Traceur

Postby Nicolas » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:06 pm

I swear gecko is trying to drill that into us... "Repetition is the key!"
I find repeating the same move over and over makes it much easier to apply it again in other areas.
Nicolas
Traceur

Postby Rob-F » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:03 pm

Hang on where at all is repetition overlooked? Are there people doing nothing but unique movements? :(
Rob-F
Traceur

Postby itbeme » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:21 pm

Nicolas wrote:I swear gecko is trying to drill that into us... "Repetition is the key!"
I find repeating the same move over and over makes it much easier to apply it again in other areas.
He does but ive not picked up on it too much, might be why im progressing at a sow rate. Although i find repetition exceptional useful, its great been able to do the harder moves that require more energy with ease =)
Trying to get better and stronger with each day.
itbeme
Traceur

Postby Conor » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:51 pm

I completely agree here. Repetition is vital in understanding how the move works. For instance, i came across a stone wall the other day, about chest height. I thought to myself "I'm going to get over that somehow" and a tried different ways of getting over it in one swift, smooth movement but couldn't do it. However i found a method which was being most effective (it was kinda like a monkey vault but with your legs on the outside instead of through your arms) and kept on trying that. At first i struggled to get my legs up but after about 3 tries and was ending up ontop of the wall. About 4 tries later a ended up clearing it with ease, with only a casual run up to give me the momentum needed. It's so satisfying when that happens.
Conor
Traceur

Postby David Bray » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:31 am

Repetition is good over a large time frame, but drilling movements is bad. Not only do you get bored, but the drilling seems to increase the chance of failure and injury like it did with me and Khaleem.
David Bray
Traceur

Postby gaz » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:23 pm

Drilling movements is an essential part of training. If you can't manage the movement when your tired then you can't rely on that movement and therefore it has less value.
gaz
Alliance

Return to Parkour and the mind