Think twice

For discussion of the non-physical side of parkour.

Think twice

Postby ParkourRulz » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:59 pm

Whenever your doing a session do you ever get stuck on one gap.But this gap isnt like all the others, then the sence of doupt comes to your mind.You ask yourself"Should I really do this"? "Am I ready for this"Because you know you will never know unless you jump that gap.You say screw it Im ready.Ok you jump it your halfway to your destination you look down in a split second[which is the wrong thing to do since your not supposed to take your eye off where your jumping to].And because of you look down... you did the incorrect foot working, fall and with your instincts you remember you have arms and hands and reach for the ledge and catch it.You use your upper-body strenght to pull yourself up. I dont know much about the mental strength in parkour.Was the act of jumping an act of self confidence or just common sence ot neither
ParkourRulz
Traceur

Re: Think twice

Postby playhater » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:54 pm

Generally people jump because they can make the jump.

Other than that, if you can try a jump and you know you can't do it first go but can build up to it/bounce back safely

That's pretty much the two things in my mind when trying jumps! :D
Its Not Arrogance, It's Destiny
playhater
Traceur

Postby Oldboy » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:17 pm

Nietzche says "when you look into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you"

My body knows when a jump is near the limits of my ability, I feel it in my legs. I'm still new to Parkour, but I suppose no matter how long you have trained for, a new jump that tests the limits of your ability is something you need to think twice about.

One of the useful things that can be learnt by just watching more experienced people is that they only do things when they know they feel that they are feeling upto it. I remember watching one of the best Traceurs I know spend a considerable amount of time looking at a jump that was well within his capabilities, yet because it was new to him and he didn't feel like doing it there and then, he waited and made the jump successfully first-time on another day when he did feel upto it.

A pilot that has extensive experience flying planes would not jump into the cockpit of a brand new plane that they have never flown before and expect to fly perfectly first time. It would take time to get to know the capabilities and controls, no matter how well you flew your previous planes, stepping outside the limits of your ability is a risk.

Don't disrespect gravity, and it won't disrespect you.
Oldboy
Local Area Moderator

Postby Dave » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:49 pm

Fear exists for a reason. It's your body's subconscious way of telling you that you aren't 100% prepared for the situation you find yourself in. Your body and mind are only completely comfortable doing things they have done many times before.

What you have to do is recognise different levels of fear, and develop the ability to assess your capabilities rationally, so that you can tell the difference between something you're afraid of but you can do and something that you're afraid of that you can't do. If you haven't developed that rational control then you're safest avoiding anything you're scared of.
~ Dave

Trying to be a helping hand from NorthernParkour and the British Parkour Coaching Association
Dave
Alliance

Return to Parkour and the mind