Knowing you can do it...but not being able to.

For discussion of the non-physical side of parkour.

Knowing you can do it...but not being able to.

Postby ChrisHopkinsPK » Sat May 15, 2010 3:18 pm

Hi i started learning palmspins and got good enough to be able to do them every time but i have not been able to do them recently for some reason
any help?
ChrisHopkinsPK
Traceur

Re: Knowing you can do it...but not being able to.

Postby David Bray » Sat May 15, 2010 6:59 pm

Not in that field but i know the feeling. It's probably the most significant negative force in my experience with parkour, standing there frozen. The best is probably the 'just f**king do it' approach but i wonder if there's a less dangerous location you could practice, closer walls, less drop or something?
David Bray
Traceur

Postby bateson » Sat May 15, 2010 7:33 pm

back garden with the matrass off your bed?
i did that still never quite got it lol!

you just need practise once youve got over the fear a few times, i find it dont bother you anymore as you know youll land at worst on your ass with is just funny more than anything else :D

good luck
bateson
Traceur

Postby Dave » Mon May 17, 2010 4:01 pm

There are different forms of 'knowledge'. Your brain has both a conscious and subconscious element, and both parts need to be comfortable with something before you can do it. Even if you consciously think that you can do something, you still need to convince your subconscious (with recent repetition).

'Just do it' is a very bad idea. Break it down, practise the parts, then build it up again.
~ Dave

Trying to be a helping hand from NorthernParkour and the British Parkour Coaching Association
Dave
Alliance

Return to Parkour and the mind