motivation

For discussion of the non-physical side of parkour.

motivation

Postby dr.havoc » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:23 pm

motivation as the title says something i have been thinking about lately

today i was biking to driffield 17 miles away from where i live and then to get on with some trainning, my friend got tired at the 4th mile and said he was tired and gave random excuses when simply he said to me earlier he couldn't be bothered.

he asked what motivated me with this challenge or in trainning in general

i told him each mile i did means i am 1 mile closer to where i want to get

i have come so far and i would find it pointless to turn back.

lately alot of people around my area don't train in the rain, i love it and i find it more challenging

i mean of course if ur coming to complete a task or a challenge you have to at least try it but how much motivation do we need or do we have the wrong sort of motivation. i think with practise and finding out what we want to achieve and actually putting the time in what we want to do. we can only go far and it can never be waste of time as we wanted to get somewhere or do something and we keep trying till we are happy with movement or whatever the challenge maybe.

i mean of course motivation can be effected with many things home problems, tiredness etc but i think my question is

what motivates you, how does it effect your trainning.

to me motivation offers challenges, doors being open, when a challenge is complete it doesn't just make me happy, i can make the challenges harder and this keeps me constant happy to challenge myself and to better myself. i find that enough motivation to keep me trainning, to keep me pushing forward.

i just want to hear your views on motivation
dr.havoc
Traceur

Re: motivation

Postby bateson » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:22 pm

im actualy have trouble to see what motivates me. Does anybody else feel like this?
bateson
Traceur

Postby gregg » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:06 am

Sometimes feel that way.
Why do I want to vault this obstacle? If you aren't chasing anyone, or being chased, the motivation isn't so clear.
Anything from "I want to" to "it's fun" to deep dark psychological delving. Depends how many hours you want to spend in therapy :lol:
I'd rather spend my time vaulting obstacles. I want to. It's fun. It's cheaper than therapy :D
gregg
Traceur

Postby bateson » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:37 am

haha very nicely put Gregg, i guess i just enjoy it
bateson
Traceur

Postby AdamS » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:55 am

For me it's simply watching parkour. When I watch a video (no matter how amature or professional) I just want to go out an train and become as skilled and fit as I can... In fact sometimes watching more amature stuff motavates me more as it's a more realistic goal for me to reach.

I'm also not happy with my physical appearence so tthe thought of becoming fitter and stronger in general can motavate me, but it's mainly watching parkout which does it for me.
AdamS
Traceur

Location: Timperley, Manchester?/Chesire.?.. No one seems to know

Postby Dave » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:20 pm

It's often difficult to discover what motivates you. Motivation comes from feeling and emotion rather than thought, and most people have problems understanding their feelings rationally. You need to do a lot of observing and experimenting to discover where the feelings come from.

Understanding motivation is all about answering the 'why' questions'.

"Because I want to" is not a motivation. Why do you want to?
~ Dave

Trying to be a helping hand from NorthernParkour and the British Parkour Coaching Association
Dave
Alliance

Postby Henri » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:13 pm

I really love to do parkour and all the conditioning stuff whats goes along with it. Also its philosophy for life.
But for me its very hard to get motivated to do parkour. For the last half year I have been training alone 95% of the time..
Lately its just hard to get up and go do something since it feels unsocialized. Any tips how to get over it and train alone and feel happy about it?

I think good thing is keeping a training journal. Then you can see where u were last month and how you have developed yourself.
Theres no right or wrong choices, just some are more useful to somebody.
Traceur from far far Estonia.
Henri
Traceur

Postby Dave » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:57 pm

Training diaries are good for noticing small improvements, which is where the success and enjoyment in Parkour is.

The other thing that works is to set yourself specific challenges each time you go out to train. For instance, you might see if you can do a jump 100 times in a row without falling or losing your balance. Then, the next time you feel like training, see if you can do maybe 110. When you successfully complete a challenge, make the next challenge a little bit harder. If you have specific targets it's easy to see you're getting better as those targets keep getting harder.

The last thing is to keep reminding yourself of what you are trying to achieve in the long run. Our feelings can be influenced by our thoughts. The things we desire are the things we think about the most. The more often you remind yourself, the more likely the motivation is to stick in your head.
~ Dave

Trying to be a helping hand from NorthernParkour and the British Parkour Coaching Association
Dave
Alliance

Return to Parkour and the mind