Parkour and society

For discussion of the non-physical side of parkour.

Parkour and society

Postby adamxxx » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:12 pm

movement / parkour is supposed to be the natural way of movement for us human beings if not for technology in my opinion.
if we observe children, it's in their nature to climb, jump, and run around! - it's in their nature to experiment their physical ability and have fun along the way!

.. as they grow older, the surroundings; parents, teachers, the government! tells them,
"no, dont act like a kid",
"dont do this",
"you have to stop playing and study hard!",
"you have to get good education to get a good job",
"you have to get a good job to have a good life.."

.. we start to live the life of what people tell us what is right and how we should live our life as we grow older! we are not living our life, but living what people are saying 'the right life'.
and most people dont realize this..

there is no one way to live your life!

you can not go to school and still live a rich successful life...! (think about it)

.. what i'm trying to say is, we(traceurs/freerunners) are simply living our life! and doing what is natural for human beings physically; to climb, jump, run, swim, etc.

but for the public who view us as 'monkeys' think they're the ones who are the normal ones.
"why climb when there's an elevator?"
"why walk, run, vault, jump? when you can drive a car?"

technology has taken away our identity as 'normal'. if it hasnt exist in this century, we would still be climbing, running, jumping the streets to get to school, work...

so, which is the normal one? people doing parkour; creating they're own path? or people walking on walkways; created by the government to tell us where to walk, where to go up, where to down, where to go left, where to go right...., u get the picture;) .............

these are my opinions. i apologize for any harsh comments! lets live OUR life! and be 'NORMAL'
adamxxx
Traceur

Re: Parkour and society

Postby Mafio » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:32 am

I think thats technology now a days. try to make everything easier and simpler which means we dont have to do anything which is hard or required any work. Thats why people start going obese and the only thing they do is wake up,go to work,watch tv, sleep and the same cycle over and over again. They dont do anything with their lifes. But as you said we try to stop that cycle and brake out of this never end chain. We do something different and that make us better and special. However in this society being different means that you are weird and stupid.
Just do what you want with your lifes. Enjoy and be happy everyday.
Train Safe
Michał
"Parkour is not a sport, it's a lifestyle."
Mafio
Traceur

Postby bateson » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:17 am

i think your thinking too much about the rong things lol

if people call us "monkeys" then take it as a compliment i wish i could move as efficantly as one

but also the word normal has defently missused normal-come from the word norm which is a rule of sociaty, and there for the people who are never going anywere themselfs a normal, maby what tacures/trasusues do it being natural, getting back to out ...."real" roots 8)

but yea o a whole you seem to have a very, almost conspirecsy filled view of life briten up lol :P
bateson
Traceur

Postby playhater » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:27 pm

Erm I think when people say monkeys they do mean it as a compliment anyway lol, but like it's when people say other things like maybe for instance that we're weird for doing what we do then that's when they don't understand so they're just being offensive and yeah I agree with Michal it's all about efficiency so they just take the car or train or whatever because it's easier, like imagine carrying a weeks worth of shopping home or whatever or driving home with it in your boot it's so much easier, I guess most people just want easy lifes :)
Its Not Arrogance, It's Destiny
playhater
Traceur

Postby itbeme » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:28 pm

I think that people have been brought up that way for decades now, maybe even century's, its stupid how there are set paths. Id like to see how people moved when they were at the basics, before we had shoes, houses, cars, concrete. people have gotten so much weaker to be fair.
Trying to get better and stronger with each day.
itbeme
Traceur

Postby aarenlainey » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:12 am

Parkour has been associated with death-defying building-to-building jumps. I remember BBC also had a feature documentary years ago too, and when I watch them doing Parkour,I can’t help but admire the athletic prowess.I did like to see how people moved when they were at the basics,before we had shoes, houses, cars, concrete. people have gotten so much weaker to be fair.
aarenlainey
Traceur

Postby David Bray » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:21 am

Well this really is the core of society's 'fear' of parkour. What has to be understood though, is that humanity has changed. We entered the ring as hardy hunters but now we have essentially devolved to be co-dependant on technology.
Take me, for instance. I do parkour and have a fairly capable body. I imagine i could survive quite well in hunter-gatherer culture (or lack thereof), but i am also criplingly attached to my electronic life. My internet crashed over the weekend and i realised just what level of hold it has taken on my life.
I couldn't do my uni work, some of my creative work, some of my buying, and some of my research and it was driving me insane.
Hopefully, i can crack that and be a parkour god.
David Bray
Traceur

Postby Oldboy » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:14 am

"if we observe children, it's in their nature to climb, jump, and run around! - it's in their nature to experiment their physical ability and have fun along the way!

.. what i'm trying to say is, we(traceurs/freerunners) are simply living our life! and doing what is natural for human beings physically; to climb, jump, run, swim, etc."

I was looking for a thread in which to put this short video, it's part of a lecture by a British philosopher called Alan Watts who was a populariser of Eastern philosophy for a Western audience. It's animated by Sounthpark creators Matt Stone and Trey Parker and talks about the analogy of life with a a journey, and how people are always rushing to get to the end.

Alan Watts - Life and music

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeRZKC27RtU

Some members of the public seem to have a positive view of Parkour and look genuinely pleased to see people training, but there are others who appear to be dismissive. I can think of at least several people within my circle of friends who would also be dismissive of Parkour.

I think it's safe to say that everyone would like to be able to have the strength, skills and dexterity that traceurs display, yet most people are unwilling to do the training, eat the right food and build slowly toward their goals. It's much easier to stuff your face with McDonalds and live your dreams through the characters of the latest Hollywood CGI block buster, or on a games console. Perhaps when they see someone practicing parkour then 'their own' lack of physical fitness is reflected and they react defensively by dismissing it.

I have some friends who are completely reliant on cars, and when I tell them I am going to walk somewhere they offer me a lift. When I tell them that "I want to walk" some of them do not seem to understand why anyone would want to walk. They think that I am being polite and refusing a lift so as not to trouble them, they start to insist and get a bit upset when I have to emphasise strongly that 'I do not want a lift'. The fact is that I want to walk because I enjoy it, some people just don't understand the concept of exercise. I often wonder if they were driving along the road and saw a friend jogging, would they try and offer them a lift? It would be virtually impossible to explain to them the concept of taking a short-cut over a wall, if there were steps further along.

People identify with the system within which they live, most will come to depend upon it and will fight to defend their system because they cannot comprehend a way of surviving outside of it. An indigenous tribe may travel on foot or by animal power, their food comes from the land, water from a stream and warmth from a fire. Most will defend their system with their lives because that's what that they know. In a modern industrialised western society people drive cars to shops, get their food from a tin, water from a tap and warmth from central heating, they too will defend their system to the death because it's what they know.
Oldboy
Local Area Moderator

Postby GR33N » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:44 am

People identify with the system within which they live, most will come to depend upon it and will fight to defend their system because they cannot comprehend a way of surviving outside of it.

isnt that from the matrix? :P
BLOOD. SOMETIMES IT SETS MY TEETH ON EDGE.
OTHER TIMES IT HELPS ME CONTROL THE CHAOS.
GR33N
Traceur

Postby Oldboy » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:27 pm

GR33N wrote:
People identify with the system within which they live, most will come to depend upon it and will fight to defend their system because they cannot comprehend a way of surviving outside of it.

isnt that from the matrix? :P

Yes, well spotted, it appears to be very similar but I didn't intentionally steal it from The Matrix, I stole it from this guy in the video below. He is an environmental activist called Derrick Jensen, he has some very interesting and controversial ideas, though non of them are really directly related to Parkour or this thread. Maybe he originally got the idea of 'people becoming dependent upon the system in which they live' from The Matrix.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSa9tyuI ... re=related

Morpheus: The Matrix is a system, Neo. That system is our enemy. But when you're inside, you look around, what do you see? Businessmen, teachers, lawyers, carpenters. The very minds of the people we are trying to save. But until we do, these people are still a part of that system and that makes them our enemy. You have to understand, most of these people are not ready to be unplugged. And many of them are so inured, so hopelessly dependent on the system, that they will fight to protect it.
[Neo's eyes suddenly wander towards a woman in a red dress]
Morpheus: Were you listening to me, Neo? Or were you looking at the woman in the red dress?
Oldboy
Local Area Moderator

Postby GR33N » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:51 pm

i dont know about Neo, but i was looking at the woman in the red dress :P
im sure NONE of you thought id be that shallow xD
BLOOD. SOMETIMES IT SETS MY TEETH ON EDGE.
OTHER TIMES IT HELPS ME CONTROL THE CHAOS.
GR33N
Traceur

Postby David Bray » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:43 am

2 Words Gr33n: Dem Hips
David Bray
Traceur

Postby pure » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:19 pm

normality is just a point of view.

what is normal?

doing a 9 - 5?

doing a night job?

driving a car?

taking the bus?

nothing is set in stone!
pure
Traceur

Postby Rob-F » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:45 pm

yeah man, you've got four limbs what are you doing with them! walking to a train station! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Rob-F
Traceur

Postby Nicolas » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:10 pm

what is socially normal and what is actually normal, is a very hard thing to explain, given that there is no such thing as something being 'normal'.
we who do parkour are all normal physically and mentally , yet we are also abnormal socially.
Society deems us abnormal because we tend towards the unusual methods of 'transport', if you will.
In the view of nature, we tend towards being normal. The perfect example would be that of cats or squirrels. They jump up on walls and fences rather than going around them, simply because they do not know of the route that humans have set out and because they know where they want to go, and take the simplest route. Perfectly normal for animals, but not humans?
Society fails =)
Nicolas
Traceur

Postby Robin_a » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:38 am

... yeah this would be true if anyone actually used what there trained in everyday life. If people really trained to use it they would do it without empting their pockets or wearing clothed specific to training. A flip is just as useful as a precision jump or a speed vault if you can't do it when you need to.
Robin_a
Traceur

Postby Dave » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:50 am

That's why the knowing of the techniques is less important than the process of learning them, because the stuff we use in our everyday lives isn't the movement technique, it's the learning technique.
~ Dave

Trying to be a helping hand from NorthernParkour and the British Parkour Coaching Association
Dave
Alliance

Postby playhater » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:14 pm

This video sums up my views. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrulLtPTcjw

I'm not stupid!

Edit: I was actually joking he's chatting s--t
Last edited by playhater on Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
playhater
Traceur

Postby David Bray » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:35 pm

He might sound stupid but he has a good point about the calm. I don't do parkour for an adrenaline rush, or to risk, or to compete, i do it for joy and a sense of control. That's why it will never be a sport for me.
David Bray
Traceur

Postby playhater » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:13 pm

0 valid points (all he does is handstands)

parkour is fake. putting a name on stuff etc.
playhater
Traceur

Next

Return to Parkour and the mind