Thought, desicion and action as one., Stillness in movement

For discussion of the non-physical side of parkour.

Thought, desicion and action as one., Stillness in movement

Postby Dr MamBo » Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:02 pm

(I posted this on another parkour forum but thought it would be good to share this here)

-----

Often as we approach an obstacle we will first think about how best to tackle it, then reach a decision on how we will tackle it and finally bring the thoughts into realization and act upon them.

How we act is a direct cause of how we think. How well we flow outside is often a reflection on how well thoughts flow on the inside.

Bringing thought, decision and action as one, in the moment is not an easy thing, but its something that I am sure most traceurs have done at some point. Without thinking or without hesitation and doubt, you act in the moment, flowing effortlessly and gracefully.

My personal way of achieving this is through Yoga, meditation, pranayama (yogic breathing exercises) and Kung Fu.

I think that parkour itself also develops this thoughtless awareness, but I thought it would be a good idea to discuss this further with you guys.

What do you think?
?o.O n a m a s t e O.o?

[img:6fd4c55c1a]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v84/xb0nerx/sigs/lotussig8.jpg[/img:6fd4c55c1a]
Dr MamBo
Traceur

Re: Thought, desicion and action as one., Stillness in movem

Postby Deckard » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:27 am

Dr MamBo wrote:Without thinking or without hesitation and doubt, you act in the moment, flowing effortlessly and gracefully.

I really agree with you on this one. I think that the only way you can flow effortlessly and gracefully is if you've reached a skill level at which movements come instinctively. After you've trained so much that you don't have to think about doing something, and it just comes to you as easily as walking or breathing, then you'll always be acting "in the moment."

However, I wouldn't go so far as to say that a good physical flow is a reflection of the flow of our thoughts.

For example, I would imagine that a highly intelligent scientist with perfectly flowing thought, wouldn't neccessarily be able to move through a set of obstacles with perfect flow. :?
Deckard
Traceur

Re: Thought, desicion and action as one., Stillness in movement

Postby parkour_nomad » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:44 pm

This video presents an interesting study of flow.
What it actually feels like to flow, how and when people experience flow, be that person a figure skater, a composer...
or of course a traceur.

http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/miha ... _flow.html
parkour_nomad
Traceur

Re: Thought, desicion and action as one., Stillness in movement

Postby DrMamBo » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:15 pm

Oh blimey I forgot about this, i thought I had an account already.... :oops:
DrMamBo
Traceur

Return to Parkour and the mind