confidence

For discussion of the non-physical side of parkour.

confidence

Postby tidge3000 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:40 pm

i don't know if this has been mentioned before but yeah can any one actually help me.

I have a massive confidence problem.

One example of this is i know i can do something my mind nows it but my body wont listen i dont actually no if that is confidence but it is to me and it is really stopping me from being where i want to be

if you know what a mean help would be appreciated if u dont well meh lol :) :oops: lol
tidge3000
Traceur

Postby Deckard » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:24 am

I think I know what you mean, I personally find it helps to keep mentally reassuring yourself that you can do it, and then visualise yourself doing the movement, regardless of what it is.

Not sure if this helps, but it seems to work for me :)
Deckard
Traceur

Postby DannyWood » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:14 pm

A way to feel powerful that I use is a breathing technique, I'll call it breathing into your balls. Breath in as you normally would but imagine your breath going right down through your body and into the are where your balls are and your belly button are. Visualise all your energy swirling around in that area, filling it up. Now breath out and imagine all the energy leaving that area. repeat for a while and you should feel more focused.

A breathing technique that I use to feel more relaxed is simple enough. You breath in for four and then breath out for four. If you do this for a while you will feel more calm. Being calm will benefit your confidence
DannyWood
Traceur

Postby Dave » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:26 pm

Confidence comes from practice. Every movement can be broken down into component parts so if you are not confident with a whole movement, practice every component 30, 50, 100 times until you are confident about each part. Then you can build the technique up again, gradually adding more parts until you are doing the whole movement.
~ Dave

Trying to be a helping hand from NorthernParkour and the British Parkour Coaching Association
Dave
Alliance

Postby Luke_Pitt » Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:52 pm

i find just building up works, e.g.

[img:27fb50a78a]http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/1902/buildupln1.png[/img:27fb50a78a]

say i want to be able to do cat onto the wall at 4, but cant bring my self to do it, i would start at 1, which is easily in range, move on to 2, when 2 is as comfortable as 1 move onto 3, try 4, if i cant get my self to do it, i go back to 3 until i'm happy, then i try 4.

also trying to just precision the length of 4 on the ground next to it to get in into your mind that [b:27fb50a78a]you can make that distance[/b:27fb50a78a] helps.

yeah, and breaking it up and repeating, when i first tried reverse vault i just put one hand on the rail, stepped over it the way you do when you do the vault properly, basically i did it in slow motion, then i did a lazy vault back over without letting go of the rail, then did the part of the reverse vault that goes over the rail again, then lazy vault back over then i tried doing the part, then i basically just kept going back and forwards for 15 mins or so constantly, when i was happy i could do the middle bit of the reverse vault i then tried doing it from standing next to the bar then getting hold of the bar then doing it, then i tried walking at the bar and doing it, then i tried putting it all together and jogging at the bar. then i started again with the other hand on the rail so i could do the vault on both sides.
very rough animation of what i mean of repeating doing the middle of the reverse vault then lazy then middle of reverse then lazy (i just did lazy because it was a quick way to get back to the other side of the rail to try the middle of the reverse again)
http://personalpages.manchester.ac.uk/s ... vault2.avi
set your mediaplayer onto repeat to see what i mean (the video is designed to be looped)
Luke_Pitt
The One

Postby snakehips57 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:41 pm

[quote:5ee484dc26]I'll call it breathing into your balls[/quote:5ee484dc26]

I heard you mentioning that the other day...

As for the confidence thing, It depends on what it is

If it is something you know that you can do, but just can't bring yourself to do it, I find it helps if someone counts you in

For Example - If you are building up to a particulat cat leap or precision, ask someone to count down from 10 or 5, and focus on them counting down to 1. When they hit 1, make your move.

This method helped me a lot with tricking. Hope it helps :)
http:andysimmons.blogspot.com
snakehips57
Traceur

Postby DannyWood » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:06 pm

yeah the 2 methods I mentioned can be used for anything, from job interviews, to talking to women to physical stuff :D
DannyWood
Traceur

confidence

Postby mikereilly » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:23 pm

i get this problem a lot i am just starting off an with no body replying to my msgs will most problly hurt my self but at the mo that wont happen because the thing thats going on in my head is you carnt do that i think am just scared of hurting my self i was on a 8 foot arch way an i knew i could of just step off the edge but no my mind was saying ye not ready sit on the top on drop so i did but i carnt seem to do most of the volts the same day i was on a 5 foot wall below it was a filled in pond on to slabs no big deal you say an i thourt easy but i just couldnt do it am i a lost caurse at this sport or do i just need some 1 to take me under there wing
mikereilly
Traceur

Postby Ben » Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:24 am

Success doesn't come just because you counted down to it. You should never encourage someone to do something beyond their capabilities, obviously if there's no risk and/or you know they are capable of doing it then it is often useful to give them the encouragement to get over any fears or doubts, but be smart and think abgout it. Don't tell someone they can do something they can't, especially if it puts them in a position of potential danger out of overconfidence.
Success will come if you are [b:333463caf7]completely ready for it[/b:333463caf7] and you go for it.

Being [b:333463caf7]ready for it[/b:333463caf7] consists of four states of mind;

- being physically able to perform the task (i.e. being able to jump so far);

- being mentally prepared to perform the task (i.e. you can realistically picture yourself achieving it);

- having done something similar before, e.g. having done a similar arm jump (i.e. similar distance, height difference, takeoff and landing surfaces, etc.)

- having practised each aspect of the whole movement (i.e. breaking it up into steps and drilling each one continuously (over a long period of time for a big thing) and ensuring you can do them all and go on to link them)

[b:333463caf7]An amateur practises until he gets it right

A professional practises until he can't get it wrong[/b:333463caf7]
I'M BACK, BABY!

A life without adventure is likely to be unsatisfactory.
A life without limits on adventure is likely to be short.
Ben
No longer the SPG guru

Re: confidence

Postby Will » Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:59 pm

[quote:77a9f850de="mikereilly"]i get this problem a lot i am just starting off an with no body replying to my msgs will most problly hurt my self but at the mo that wont happen because the thing thats going on in my head is you carnt do that i think am just scared of hurting my self i was on a 8 foot arch way an i knew i could of just step off the edge but no my mind was saying ye not ready sit on the top on drop so i did but i carnt seem to do most of the volts the same day i was on a 5 foot wall below it was a filled in pond on to slabs no big deal you say an i thourt easy but i just couldnt do it am i a lost caurse at this sport or do i just need some 1 to take me under there wing[/quote:77a9f850de]

You're not a lost cause at all you just need to change what you're doing, Parkour isn't about finding the highest wall you dare to drop off and then doing it, you just go out and [i:77a9f850de]move[/i:77a9f850de] and enjoy yourself, it's simple really. You also don't neccesarily need someone to take you under their wing but it would certainly help to meet and train with other Traceurs.

If you're scared of hurting yourself there's usually a very good reason. For a start an 8ft drop is very big for a beginner. I don't think I would just drop off an 8ft wall, or even sit and push off, I'd lower myself till I was pretty much touching the floor.
Will
Traceur

thanks

Postby mikereilly » Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:38 am

thanks will it wasnt as scry sitin an pushing of the arch but when ye up there standing your eye level is at a diffrent hight i could do that but i couldnt roll on the concret yet but still how do i learn and move expresing myself if i carnt jump over or volt over a rail or wall or railing you know wot am sayin its hard i think i might go to the next meet in liverpool an meet some of the lads see if they might learn me some thing
mikereilly
Traceur

Postby Dave » Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:02 pm

Can we all try and speak in English please? Mikereilly, I've read your last post three times and I'm still not sure I understand it. If you want anyone to read what you're writing, write it properly.

If you want to express yourself, take up painting. You learn parkour by practicing simple, basic movements until you are confident of getting it right 100 times out of 100, and then moving onto something slightly more difficult and repeating.

If you can't vault over a rail, find something smaller to practice on. If you can't roll on concrete, don't do drops onto concrete. Practice the techniques you can do safely, build up your strength by exercising, and THEN worry about getting your mind in the right place for situations you find scary.
~ Dave

Trying to be a helping hand from NorthernParkour and the British Parkour Coaching Association
Dave
Alliance

Postby Ben » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:07 am

[quote:6582dbf370="Dave"]Can we all try and speak in English please? Mikereilly, I've read your last post three times and I'm still not sure I understand it. If you want anyone to read what you're writing, write it properly.[/quote:6582dbf370]

Hear hear.

Parkour isn't about having the confidence to jump off massive things, that's something else...that's plain stupidity.

Parkour is about what YOU can achieve, mainly on ground level, the only competition is with your own past achievements (that doesn't mean you have to find a bigger jump each time yoiu go out!) - you ought to be practising each part of a set of movements so that you get good at them, and are able to make something from it, like vault over one wall and land on another, or rather than trying to get the biggest running jump, try practising a simple standing precision to the extent that you can land it perfectly, stay at the precise point on which you landed, and even stand up after having balanced on it and walk along the edge you landed on.
I'M BACK, BABY!

A life without adventure is likely to be unsatisfactory.
A life without limits on adventure is likely to be short.
Ben
No longer the SPG guru

Postby snakehips57 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:48 pm

[quote:7152e309b7]thanks will it wasnt as scry sitin an pushing of the arch but when ye up there standing your eye level is at a diffrent hight i could do that but i couldnt roll on the concret yet but still how do i learn and move expresing myself if i carnt jump over or volt over a rail or wall or railing you know wot am sayin its hard i think i might go to the next meet in liverpool an meet some of the lads see if they might learn me some thing[/quote:7152e309b7]

LOL @ 0% grammar.
http:andysimmons.blogspot.com
snakehips57
Traceur

Postby I-Just-Run » Thu May 24, 2007 6:07 pm

Ben wrote:
Parkour isn't about having the confidence to jump off massive things, that's something else...that's plain stupidity.

But that doesn't mean jumping off really big stuff can't be fun.

But yeah I wouldnt do anything stupid until i was really pro.
Does this accept bbcode?
If not it ain't a signiture!

Do what I do.
Try jump over it,
if not, walk around it.
I-Just-Run
Traceur

Postby SpaceBoy » Thu May 24, 2007 11:44 pm

I-Just-Run wrote:But that doesn't mean jumping off really big stuff can't be fun.

But yeah I wouldnt do anything stupid until i was really pro.

Hmmmm... *alarm bells ring* (dilution?!?!?!)
**SpaceBoy**

http://blog.myspace.com/thevurt

NO PAIN, NO GAIN!! - Welcome to Hellnight, every Tuesday from 6pm
SpaceBoy
Traceur

Postby jay_200 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:43 pm

one thing...
say your jumping roof to roof, never think about the injury you could cause yourself by missing the jump

if you just do it, you should be fine ;)
jay_200
Traceur

Postby darktim » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:15 am

i have that prob some times, well i beat me self up about what i can and cant do, but all you got to do is think pasitive. say you can do it. and visualise yourself completing it. not get to that point of take off and bailing. also build upto it. if i can do something and i know i can but for some reason hold back i force my self to build up to it and then do it. dont be scared of it. lol or try not to be :)
"have you ever danced with the devil by the pale moon light?"
darktim
Traceur

Postby ghost » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:09 pm

jay_200 wrote:one thing...
say your jumping roof to roof, never think about the injury you could cause yourself by missing the jump

if you just do it, you should be fine ;)

sorry, i don't really agree with that. its the overcoming of that thought that counts as it is only human to think it. every person will have that thought go through there head and if you don't when jumping roof to roof then you would be a scary person to be around. those type of people are either climbing up k2 or in jail for murder.

what I'm trying to say is to me confidence is the ability to say to yourself, ok theres a chance of a serious injury or even death here but i know i have trained hard enough and i am capable of doing that. its the decision to do it despite the risks. if you ignor that the risks are there your not being confident your being fool hardy.
my release, my place of peace...
ghost
Alliance

Postby Drew YPK » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:44 pm

The nature of risk has been in my mind a lot lately. In simple terms Parkour = the elimination of risk (unattainable goal) which = the reduction (realistic product of striving for elimination).

Of course that's ultimately just an abstract and minor point of the concept of self-improvement.
"Disciplina, fide, perseverantia"
York Parkour
Drew YPK
Local Area Moderator

Next

Return to Parkour and the mind