Training in Public Places

For discussion of the non-physical side of parkour.

Training in Public Places

Postby Conor » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:56 pm

This has often been the biggest obstacle for me, bigger than any wall, railing or gap. I often feel, not embarrassed, but intimidated when doing parkour in a public place. I've come to the conclusion that it is something that can be avoided if i were working in a group, but i am not, but hopefully i'll find one on this site that's close to me. Anyway, it's just the looks i get off people, especially my own age. It's pretty distracting and intimidating. Should i just grow a pair and deal with it? Most likely, but i have lots of places i know that are pretty much secluded, so it's not that much of a big deal, so long as my training does not stop. I suppose the next step would be to find a group though. Thoughts?
Conor
Traceur

Re: Training in Public Places

Postby someone » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:35 pm

I feel the same and I agree with you that it is easier doing parkour with someone else.

It seems to be the case that mental obstacles are harder than physical ones. I've always been very aware of how people view me, even right now I'm thinking about how I should word this to give the right impression. It's not been good for me though. When you let social pressure guide you rather than reasoning then you stop being in control of your actions. Right now I've resolved not to let my social fears stop me from doing anything, not just parkour. There's no good reason anyone could give to justify making you feel uncomfortable for doing parkour so don't let them stop you. This problem is the hardest I've ever tried to overcome but I think it's worth it. There are so many exciting things I've missed out on over my fears and I don't want that to be the case ever again.
someone
Traceur

Postby derrobin » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:36 pm

Hej!

I think you have to deal with it. In my experience this "feelings of being watched" fade away after a few month of training alone. You just have to repeat and repeat in your mind that these people are unimportant for you. Focus on the things you are doing. Repeat exercises again and again. FEEL what you are doing and what your Body replies to you. If you try to think and train in this direction, then all other people will automatically become unimportant. You will not even recognize them standing rigth next to you.
Then after Minutes of repeating and focussing you wake up....uh...so many people around?? :)

Try it. Everybody. Do not forget....you are doing this things for yourselve. Your Body, your mind, your health. Everything and everybody else is unimportant in this case. ;)
Stay focused on what you want and you will be successful!
derrobin
Traceur

Postby xergos » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:37 am

I would add some important thing here:
Of course, don't do mess around yourself while training, because that could harm those people around you. =]

I usually begin my training with clearing up the area a little. This way I could think of my training as I did something practical to the "community" who "watch over" my silly methods of climbing and jumping around. If this doesn't help, let them know that you did some cleanup, and you care about the environment that you train on.
This way people should realise that you mean no harm. If you still let a few footmark around the walls, they could think that you will remove them sooner or later.

I was quite happy when I found the same opinion in this "old" documentary:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uX4ArMqQBw
from 5:30 exactly

I think this part of parkour should be promoted much more...
So if I can give you an advice, promote this idea alongside with all the others that you do to people who asks things like "what the hell are you doin' ?! You will hurt yourself!!! " ... etc.

Cheers from Budapest
Andor

derrobin wrote:Hej!

I think you have to deal with it. In my experience this "feelings of being watched" fade away after a few month of training alone. You just have to repeat and repeat in your mind that these people are unimportant for you. Focus on the things you are doing. Repeat exercises again and again. FEEL what you are doing and what your Body replies to you. If you try to think and train in this direction, then all other people will automatically become unimportant. You will not even recognize them standing rigth next to you.
Then after Minutes of repeating and focussing you wake up....uh...so many people around?? :)

Try it. Everybody. Do not forget....you are doing this things for yourselve. Your Body, your mind, your health. Everything and everybody else is unimportant in this case. ;)
xergos
Traceur

Return to Parkour and the mind