Concrete Circus

If it's not specifically parkour, it's in here.

Concrete Circus

Postby AdamS » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:45 pm

A programme on Channel 4 now aboout filmmakers in urban sports and Parkour. It's really good and a lot of parkour in it.
AdamS
Traceur

Location: Timperley, Manchester?/Chesire.?.. No one seems to know

Re: Concrete Circus

Postby Dave » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:27 pm

I'm watching it on 4OD at the moment.

It's not about Parkour, it's another piece about how to show off with movement.
~ Dave

Trying to be a helping hand from NorthernParkour and the British Parkour Coaching Association
Dave
Alliance

Postby Robin_a » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:43 pm

:cry:
Robin_a
Traceur

Postby dr.havoc » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:01 pm

I agree with dave and i assume more misconceptions to people who don't understand parkour which means they will have to do the research and learn about parkour to understand but will the public ever get it right ?, it seems this was made to earn money and to show off skill. There is nothing you can really learn from it, yes it is impressive and watching people do those sort of movements can be inspiring but besides from that not much you can learn from it. I just wonder if the public will ever truely understand but i geuss it is up to us as traceurs to teach these responisbilities and to pass on the correct stuff or else no one will ever truely understand ?.
dr.havoc
Traceur

Postby David Bray » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:09 pm

GRAMMAR!

God damn.
David Bray
Traceur

Postby dr.havoc » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:32 pm

I try my best with grammar and still a thing i am working on :)
dr.havoc
Traceur

Postby Crayfish » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:35 pm

Personally I thought the Storm Freerun video was awesome, as was Danny Macaskill. I am wholeheartedly in support of talented and dedicated people using their skills to create performance art.

Furthermore I'm all for widespread exposure for parkour/freerunning. If the program inspires even one person to begin learning these activities then it'll be completely worthwhile.
Crayfish
Traceur

Postby Dave » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:57 pm

The problem is that programmes like these don't really inspire people to practice Parkour. They inspire people to try and get good at moving and make videos about it, which is not the same thing as Parkour at all.
~ Dave

Trying to be a helping hand from NorthernParkour and the British Parkour Coaching Association
Dave
Alliance

Postby Robin_a » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:05 pm

what you have it called then?
Robin_a
Traceur

Postby FreefRuntier » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:26 am

Dave wrote:The problem is that programmes like these don't really inspire people to practice Parkour. They inspire people to try and get good at moving and make videos about it, which is not the same thing as Parkour at all.

Thats strange because thats exactly what parkour is for me its a way to make my self think about how i move, how i can improve my self personaly and express this self improvment and myself through my movements.

Parkour is diffrent for us all,
and in the end its just a word. :D
FreefRuntier
Traceur

Postby Dave » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:52 am

Robin, moving and making videos are called, not that surprisingly, 'moving' and 'making videos'.

FreefRuntier, the word 'Parkour' is just a word, but the concept of Parkour is a training discipline designed to help you get past all the obstacles you face in life, and help you keep progressing on your own path through life. In the details it's different for us all, we each face slightly different obstacles, but the fundamental concept is the same for everyone. To practice Parkour you need to train in a certain way and share a certain goal.
~ Dave

Dave
Alliance

Postby FreefRuntier » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:54 pm

By using that logic then, that parkour is a means to be used to help you through life by providing a diffrent prospective to veiwing it.
One could say that such traceur's such as Blue, parkour is a means to help them with the obsticle of trying to be a proffesional at there chosen activity (or be it discipline) the diffrence is that Blue is just taking abit more direct route by using the disipline as a way to earn a living, other than just a phlioshpy to veiw life.

And as for showing off the way they move instead of keeping it pure, one must always make compromises when advertising themselfs to company's what will allow them to use there discipline as a way of earning a living allowing them to continue to train parkour and improve upon there physical abilities at a rate at which normaly wouldnt be possible with a normal job.

In the end its a bit like asking a buhdist monk why he must ask for donations evan though he is not ment to have any wordly possesions.
FreefRuntier
Traceur

Postby Robin_a » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:57 pm

yes it is exactly like that monk 'Evan'...
"They inspire people to try and get good at moving" how can this be a Problem?
Robin_a
Traceur

Postby Crayfish » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:05 pm

The definition of a word derives from its most frequent usage and most widely shared understanding. I believe you're in a fairly small minority with your definition here Dave. Perhaps even a minority of one. I could be wrong but I've never heard anyone else seriously argue that parkour doesn't mean parkour.

Also, I fail to see how your definition of parkour substantially differs from this dictionary definition of philosophy enough to warrant a whole new word: "A theory or attitude held by a person or organization that acts as a guiding principle for behavior".

If we call philosophy parkour, what are we going to call parkour? The whole thing just makes so little sense to me.
Crayfish
Traceur

Postby Rob-F » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:05 pm

Crayfish wrote:The definition of a word derives from its most frequent usage and most widely shared understanding. I believe you're in a fairly small minority with your definition here Dave. Perhaps even a minority of one. I could be wrong but I've never heard anyone else seriously argue that parkour doesn't mean parkour.

Also, I fail to see how your definition of parkour substantially differs from this dictionary definition of philosophy enough to warrant a whole new word: "A theory or attitude held by a person or organization that acts as a guiding principle for behavior".

If we call philosophy parkour, what are we going to call parkour? The whole thing just makes so little sense to me.

Well chris, if everyone started calling parkour an apple, it would never really be an apple.
Rob-F
Traceur

Postby Dave » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:09 pm

FreefRuntier wrote:By using that logic then, that parkour is a means to be used to help you through life by providing a diffrent prospective to veiwing it.
One could say that such traceur's such as Blue, parkour is a means to help them with the obsticle of trying to be a proffesional at there chosen activity (or be it discipline) the diffrence is that Blue is just taking abit more direct route by using the disipline as a way to earn a living, other than just a phlioshpy to veiw life.

And as for showing off the way they move instead of keeping it pure, one must always make compromises when advertising themselfs to company's what will allow them to use there discipline as a way of earning a living allowing them to continue to train parkour and improve upon there physical abilities at a rate at which normaly wouldnt be possible with a normal job.

They are not making a living from the discipline. They are making a living from performing, not training, and Parkour is just the training.

Compromises are a necessary part of working with others. However if you make a compromise with the accuracy of the information you present, you end up misinforming a lot of people and causing many problems for many other people. If this doesn't bother you, then I would label you selfish. It's unfortunate that selfishness is so common.

Parkour was created to help people free themselves from the limits imposed on them by society's conditioning and become strong individuals. It was not created for people to exploit society's conditioning by earning money doing tricks to impress the weak-minded zoo humans, as Erwan would call them. This 'Concrete circus' is not what Parkour is about.
~ Dave

Dave
Alliance

Postby Dave » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:10 pm

Robin_a wrote:yes it is exactly like that monk 'Evan'...
"They inspire people to try and get good at moving" how can this be a Problem?

Inspiring people to move is not necessarily a problem. The problem is that it's presented as Parkour when actually Parkour is more than just moving.
~ Dave

Dave
Alliance

Postby Dave » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:19 pm

Crayfish wrote:The definition of a word derives from its most frequent usage and most widely shared understanding. I believe you're in a fairly small minority with your definition here Dave. Perhaps even a minority of one. I could be wrong but I've never heard anyone else seriously argue that parkour doesn't mean parkour.

I'm not talking about the word 'Parkour', I'm talking about the discipline of Parkour, the concept. Language can change as often as it likes, but it can never change a concept, what parkour is and what it was created to be.

Parkour is a training discipline. It consists of a philosophy and a method. The philosophy contains the goal, and the method shows you how to achieve it. The philosophy is that there is always a way forwards, you can always progress. The method is practicing trying to move past obstacles in your environment.

Every reliable source agrees on this, including the people who created the idea (which are the only people that really matter on this point). If you've not seen this before then you've obviously not researched Parkour thoroughly enough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWneBIz6ATg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DN6_b6dLbVY
http://www.amazon.com/Parkour-French-Da ... t_ep_dpi_1
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 931808314#
http://parkour-videos.com/france-2-tv-report-1997/
http://parkour.net/lofiversion/index.php/t29.html
http://parkour.net/lofiversion/index.php/t30.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JwAH2DW3q8

Parkour is new. A lot of people are lacking the necessary knowledge and understanding, but the fact that there are a lot of them doesn't make them right.
~ Dave

Dave
Alliance

Postby Will » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:41 pm

"Zoo humans" lol
Will
Traceur

Postby David Bray » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:30 pm

Get fat and call yourself an elephant on a ball.
David Bray
Traceur

Return to General Chat