Back Trouble

If it's not specifically parkour, it's in here.

Back Trouble

Postby David Bray » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:03 pm

I've been off for the past 2 weeks due to several reasons including back pain. On my right side, on the bottom end of the back of my rib cage, I have a sharp pain running upwards if i hold anything particularly heavy. I've been not coming as i don't know if parkour would hurt it bad.

It's probably my shit form with lifting things, so does anyone know any exercises to strengthen that area and get rid of it.

I got the first pain about 2 weeks ago and i thought it had gone but carrying in the shopping today brought it back.
David Bray
Traceur

Re: Back Trouble

Postby Oldboy » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:26 pm

It's hard to give accurate advice thats relevant to your back problem because (A) we can't get a proper diagnosis of whats causing the pain over the internet, it could be pulled muscle, a tendon, a disc problem, or swelling between the verteBray pressing on the nerve etc.. and (B) because I'm not qualified to give medical advice for back injuires, the wrong advice or exercises could make the problem worse. It might be good to read up on the anatomy of the back and the types of injuries at a medical website like the one below. That's what I did when I used to suffer from neck and back issues a few years ago.

http://www.webmd.boots.com/back-pain/gu ... pain--what

The most common type of injury is usually a pulled muscle and there's plenty of videos on youtube that demonstrate exercises that help you recover, as well as strengthening exercises you can work on once you feel better. Pain in the back and neck can cause swelling and inflammation, the other muscles around the injury tighten up, which is done automatically in response the the pain signals. The body does this to protect the injury from getting any worse, but the swelling also slows down the healing process and makes the injury feel much worse than it actually is. This is especially the case with back and neck injuries, and why anti inflammatory drugs like Ibuprofen are very, very effective at treating back and neck pain. You can pick up a cheap tube of ibuprofen gel from most pound shops.
Oldboy
Local Area Moderator

Postby Robin_a » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:09 am

http://www.muscleblitz.com/images/176df300.jpg
where abouts?

Nowadays everybody wanna talk like they got something to say
But nothin comes out when they move their lips
Just a buncha gibberish
And muthafuckas act like they forgot about Bray.
Robin_a
Traceur

Postby David Bray » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:36 pm

Lower end of the Middle Back area, where it begins to taper.
David Bray
Traceur

Postby mcquade » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:28 pm

Oldboy wrote:it could be pulled muscle, a tendon, a disc problem, or swelling between the verteBray
Undeniable genious.

Bray the back is a very complex array of muscles, so much so I believe amature advice to be crap. However my two pence is my experience of small back pains in young sporty types (even fat weak ones) tends to be muscular and tends to sort itself out in a few weeks. People that still train hard on these injuries (as the pain often disappears when warmed up) run the risk of hurting it futher and pulling their back in a more serious manner. Any training may prolong the injury so it depends where your priorities lie. Light training and a good warm up is what I advise but that should be easy for you :/

Peace
Jumps first, internet discussion later... Much later.
mcquade
Traceur

Postby Robin_a » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:12 pm

strongly disagree, if it hurts train harder. If it still hurts except that this is as good as life will get for you and carry on at this intensity (complaining helps).
Also if it starts to feel better you can train hard for a week.
NEVER STRETCH OR WARM UP.
Robin_a
Traceur

Postby Crayfish » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:16 pm

Training through injuries actually works well for me. Just avoid excess stress on the afflicted area and don't do anything super hardcore while injured. Depends on the injury of course and how it feels when training. It's likely that you could practice some movements though.

It's not just me who thinks this, I've seen people dig into some serious training with leg casts and crutches. I could even offer a speculative scientific explanation about increased blood flow, stimulation of tissue remodelling, heat shock protein induction and so on. But I won't. Suffice to say it's worked for me with most injuries including when I really shagged up my shoulder by optimistically diving off a slightly too large building.
Crayfish
Traceur

Postby mcquade » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:37 pm

Crayfish wrote:Just avoid excess stress
Define "excess stress". Some/Many would say any training that we do is excess stress. I'm inclined to agree. Isn't training the act of putting your body through excess stress.
I loathe the term. It gets thrown around so often as a taboo in training. Nobody really understands it, nor do they question it, but everybody knows you should stay away from it like a cat with rabies. :/

Peace
Jumps first, internet discussion later... Much later.
mcquade
Traceur

Postby Oldboy » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:26 pm

mcquade wrote:
Crayfish wrote: everybody knows you should stay away from it like a cat with rabies. :/

Peace

Good point about excessive stress, however tell us more about the cat. Whereabouts did you see this cat, and have you reported it to the relevant authorities?
Oldboy
Local Area Moderator

Postby Crayfish » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:35 pm

mcquade wrote:
Crayfish wrote:Just avoid excess stress
Define "excess stress". Some/Many would say any training that we do is excess stress. I'm inclined to agree. Isn't training the act of putting your body through excess stress.
I loathe the term. It gets thrown around so often as a taboo in training. Nobody really understands it, nor do they question it, but everybody knows you should stay away from it like a cat with rabies. :/

Peace

Hard to define, but if I was staying away from it I don't think I'd do so in the manner of a cat with rabies.

I know what I mean, more or less, but I couldn't give an exact definition. Maybe it'd be different for someone else. My core thesis was: it's always better to get moving at least a bit than convince yourself you're too sore to train all the time. I've done both and moving makes me feel better.
Crayfish
Traceur

Postby Hannibal » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:26 am

Have you ever heard of

Hip Twist
Cat And Camel
Tail Wag
Rag Doll
Side Bend
Spread Eagle

just do some stretching exercises, and there is not point to "carry heavy weights" = bad very nazty form = bad workout + No stretch= %100 stiff like Robocop part 1,2,3.

Just do some stretching and back extensions :D
Hannibal
Traceur

Return to General Chat