Filming Parkour: Shake issues

If it's not specifically parkour, it's in here.

Filming Parkour: Shake issues

Postby sevenfieldsofawesome » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:37 pm

Hey, my name's Kieran.

Last summer I filmed some of the folks in Manchester doing their thing on a Saturday jam for a Multimedia project. I got some pretty nice footage, but I've ran into a technical issue.
Any videos that follow any sort of motion come out quite badly...not blurred, but shaky and distorted.
I filmed on a Samsung cam corder at 1080p, while it wasn't an expensive camera, previous footage I've taken has come out clear enough. The higher res I render the footage, the less the distortion is noticable, but I need the file (which is going to be up to 90 seconds) to be fairly small, and obviously if I put it into super hi-def, it's going to be considerably large :S.

If someone has any advice, I'd love to hear it, I'm in a slight pickle here.

Thanks!
Yeah, I wish I could do a lot of things, but I guess I'll have to wait for now...
sevenfieldsofawesome
Traceur

Re: Filming Parkour: Shake issues

Postby Obsidian » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:47 pm

If it's shaky because of camera movements, you could potentially motion stabilise it. If the 'shake' is because of the shutter speed, then you can't do anything about it now. When filming motion, higher frame rates and shutter speeds can help. Also, 1080P at 24 or 25 frames per second is never totally smooth with movement.

In terms of the final export, I recommend keeping it at 1920x1080 resolution, and using the H.264 codec. For good quality, use a bit rate of between 10 and 12mbps for the video. For the audio, I recommend AAC, Stereo at 48khz and a bit rate of at least 192kbps (preferably higher). This will give you a good quality video file which is small relative to the uncompressed footage, but retains most of the perceived quality.

I hope this helps.
Correct the wise man and he will thank you. Correct the fool and he will attack you.
http://obsidianpkav.blogspot.com/
Obsidian

Return to General Chat