PLEASE MOVE ON FROM LEEDS ART GALLERY

Discuss the Parkour scene in the West Yorkshire region and just generally chat about things that are relevant to Parkour there.

PLEASE MOVE ON FROM LEEDS ART GALLERY

Postby LEEDSGALL » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:17 pm

Hi - can you please move your activities away from Leeds Art Gallery ... you will notice that we have got serious problems with the stonework on the building which the parkour is making far worse.

At the weekend more damage was caused - so we now have serious damage and an increased health and safety risk.

We dont want to come down heavy on those of you who dont cause a nuisance to building users / graffitti etc but I am afraid that the damage is such that we must now ask you to find somewhere else to practise

We have repair work taking place to the building shortly so we will need to stop any activity on site while that takes place and would prefer not to involve police and our legal team - please move on so we dont have to confront anyone.

We have found out that there is a Freerunners group meeting at Little London community centre every Thursday from 7-9pm which might suit some of you as a new venue - we understand that the long term aim is to get a proper facility in Leeds - and attending this group would help to demonstrate the need for this.

Can you spread the word please

Thanks

Leeds Art Gallery management
LEEDSGALL
Traceur

Re: PLEASE MOVE ON FROM LEEDS ART GALLERY

Postby Robin_a » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:10 pm

Hi this page is pretty much dead...
But you can speak to some of the leeds guys via their youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KycGNtAz9cY
Also I think you'll find some of the guys who train there do care about the way the art gallery has been abused.
Robin_a
Traceur

Postby LEEDSGALL » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:46 pm

Thanks for letting me know - clearly there are 'good guys' and not so good but our problem now is that any jumping / kicking is dislodging the facade. It wouldnt be a problem if it was a solid Victorian building that you were practising on - they knew how to buid things then but the front of the gallery was built in the 1980s and it is just blockwork with a thin skin of stone bolted over it - so this means that any jumping at it causes major damage - we have also had 2 handrails broken on the steps as well - clearly they must have been corroded but jumping has accelerated the damage and now we have old folk and others complaining at how difficult it is to get up the steps - getting things like that takes months to arrange and the council really cant afford it.

Repairs are going to start soon at very great cost to council taxpayers so we need all Parkour to stop. If you have any other ideas on how to spread the word let us know -

Thanks
LEEDSGALL
Traceur

Postby dr.havoc » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:34 pm

If you try speaking to leeds practitoners themselves

they will tell you its a group of chavs who have been causing damage and they seemed to get blamed

maybe it might be better if you have a friendly chat with the indiviuals that train in leeds because they are great guys and it should shed more light on whats causing the damage and its not really the people practising parkour.
dr.havoc
Traceur

Postby mcquade » Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:03 pm

There are a lot of people (associated with parkour) that meet up at the art gallery on a Saturday morning. As you can see the group is very divided. Speak to the guys (and girl) about it. It wouldn't take much observation to see which guys are part of which group and they guys jumping about the most will be friendly enough. Alternatively I can arrange with them a meeting with you to discuss things?

Having Jumped around at the art gallery for 3 years and being good friends with the guys that still train there, I can tell you it's not jumps and landings dislodging the stone. All of the damage of the stonework has been done by vandals. If there are stones dislodged where the guys jump I am sure the damage was done/started by the vandals, jumping on the broken stonework might make matters worse but there's no way the damage was started by jumps and landings. However some (not all ...again vandals and corrosion) of the damage to the rails was the result of parkour, although I don't see where you're coming from with:
LEEDSGALL wrote:old folk and others complaining at how difficult it is to get up the steps
As far as I'm aware there are still railings on the side of the main steps and there is the disabled access.

Peace
Jumps first, internet discussion later... Much later.
mcquade
Traceur

Postby LEEDSGALL » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:46 pm

Thanks for your positive comments. I am sure all damage isnt parkour practitioners but the problem we have is that now the stonework is moving, any one jumping is going to make it worse - and then vandals move in and exacerbate it . We have also had a number of dangerous incidents such as bollards being perched on windowledges which we cannot tolerate any more ( our lawyers fear someone will be seriously injured) So I am afraid you are going to need to find somewhere else to practise. The building work starts tomorrow ( yes - great weather for it) and from that point onwards I am afraid we will have to ask people to move on - there will also be other work happening early in New Year which will have wider impacts in the area.

Re the handrail there was one running up the centre of the steps - which was popular with jumpers - but the first section broke months ago - the second section a few weeks ago and our property people just havent been able to repair or replace either section - which is a real problem which will be made worse over the next few weeks as the ramp will not be available.

Would a meeting help to explain this ?
LEEDSGALL
Traceur

Postby parkourmovement » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:25 pm

Hi i am a traceur in leeds and train at the art gal every saturday we have trained here for years and have not damaged the art gal intentionaly the hand rails is slightly down to us and corrosion and vandals
we are not part of the group that have created the damage to the art gal like the guy above said its down to vandals (chavs) because they cant have anyyhing of there own and so destroy what we have we would like to move on would be happy to but we have no where else on a saturday to go as we get kicked off of everything we need to find a suitable replacement to train at
and meetings you want can be arranged just email me and ill sort it out
cheers art gallians
parkourmovement
Traceur

Return to Leeds and West Yorkshire