THERE MIGHT BE A NEW CLASS TO LEARN PK/FR IN HARROGATE.

Discuss the Parkour scene in the West Yorkshire region and just generally chat about things that are relevant to Parkour there.

THERE MIGHT BE A NEW CLASS TO LEARN PK/FR IN HARROGATE.

Postby AntonyLamberton » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:08 pm

There Might be a new class for parkour/freerunning openning in the Harrogate Gymnastics club.

I've always wanted to teach PK/FR since there's a shortage of actual class's.
if you want a class, go to london, sort of thing.

I sent an email to the head coach of Harrogate Gymnas......
This is what it looked like..

---
Hello Chloe my names Antony Lamberton, i was just wondering something.
Have you heard of Parkour or Freerunning before?

I've been searching around the harrogate area for a place to practice and train but nowhere seems to be popping up.

Is there any times at the gym where nothing is happeneing or an area is clear?

I was just wondering if i could teach or hold a little club at the gym for people like me that do Parkour and freerunning in the area.
I dont have any qualifications in teaching or had any gymnastics lessons but i can teach this.
I've been doing Parkour for about 4 years (i'm only 20) i've moved around alot and trained in many towns and gyms, but never been able to start anything in a gym. I have the experience to teach this kind of sport but didnt know what restrictions i had since i have no qualifications in teaching.

If you want i can come for a chat sometime so i can explain things better.

Thank you
---

She emailed back quite exited about the idea and im going for a chat on friday to talk about it.
Il keep you all updated on whats happening.
(Y)
' Break a leg...No wait dont...DONT!!....Shit!.....WAIT!! '
AntonyLamberton
Traceur

Re: THERE MIGHT BE A NEW CLASS TO LEARN PK/FR IN HARROGATE.

Postby Lewisr » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:48 pm

Don't mean to at all put anything down. But how the hell can you teach Parkour AND Freerunning, their both different things, they look similar in ways but the philosophies are completely different. You either teach one or the other, you cannot hold a session and encourage people to do stupid movements that have no relevance to what we try to achieve in Parkour, then please don't call it Parkour you'r just making things worse. It's even starting to sound disrespectful.
Lewis. Greatness comes from determination
Lewisr
Traceur

Postby AntonyLamberton » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:55 pm

However you try to fight it, even you know that Parkour and Freerunning are merging.
Maybe if you thought about it, you could use moves and techniques from different styles to gain from your training.

What if you come upto a point where you have nothing in your arsenal to use against an obstical and you were too proud to use freerunning.
have you ever read the philosophies of both?

Many people take the principles they learn through parkour and apply them to their lives. By challenging themselves in parkour both mentally and physically, it becomes easier to deal with problems and obstacles in everyday life. When a difficult situation comes up in daily life, a parkour practitioner can see this as any other obstacle which they've learned to overcome quickly, efficiently, and without disruption to their intended path. Another part of the overall Parkour philosophy is to be useful in a variety of situations. Parkour itself does not strive to be a "complete" discipline.

Parkour itself does not strive to be a "complete" discipline.
To close in yourself to one strick way, is a contradiction to parkour.

Freerunning is an evolution. Move like an animal. be fluid like water or find your own balance with a certain philosophy. This is the path of the Freerunner. Be focused within yourself more than the outside world. - Sébastien Foucan

What's the difference between parkour and freerunning? Well, let's explain...

Parkour - the art of displacement is an art with the aim of moving from one point to another as efficiently and quickly as possible, but is Freerunning the same thing?

Parkour and Freerunning are different but not entirely. Parkour was developed prior to freerunning by David Belle. It consists of vaults and jumps. The deep philosophy behind parkour is not be controlled by your surroundings, which most people are. The have to walk along certain designated paths to get from A to B, but by using parkour there are no architectural boundaries and your path is free for you to choose.

It is not certain whether freerunning was initially supposed to be different to Parkour. The word 'freerunning' was first developed by Sebastein Foucan in order to make the word 'parkour' more accessible to an English-speaking audience. But freerunning now does differ slightly from parkour; the freerun philosophy is less about choosing your own path but more about fun and creativity. Freerunning involves somersaulting, flipping and flaring.

Some people say that Parkour and Freerunning are the same thing, and that parkour is a way of thinking and training, which helps you get from A to B as quickly and efficiently as possible, the vaults and jumps used are only by-products of this way of thinking and method to develop one's spirit and inner strength.

Now the differences between the two are getting even more confusing with the input of wushu, street stunts, grass gymnastics and tricking. Generally though, all these sports are being incorporated with freerunning more than parkour because of the more creative and open to change nature and philosophy of Freerunning.

Parkour and freerunning are very young sports and are still developing. The philosophy and difference between parkour and freerunning have many schools of thought surrounding them and all of which are valid.

So parkour, make your own path right? your own way? there's no restrictions? So who's to say what is or isnt parkour?
Parkour can be described in many different ways by many different people, Parkour can never be fully described or fully strict.

otherwise you contradict parkour itself.
your not exactly talking to a kid here dude.

If you wanna go that far.
Even UFF have incorporated Freerunning into parkour.
you going to contradict them?

Open minded, and open way.
THAT Is Parkour.
to me.

It might not be your way,
but isnt that the point?
AntonyLamberton
Traceur

Postby Dave » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:30 am

No, the point is that parkour has a definition. It is the practice of overcoming obstacles with movement with the accompanying philosophy that all obstacles can be overcome.

Wushu, tricking, acrobatics, stunts and gymnastics also have definitions. For the people that understand those definitions it is easy to tell the differences between those and parkour. Freerunning has many definitions and can you can label almost anything as freerunning, but that just makes it imprecise as a word and therefore not a very useful term.

Parkour helps you gain more freedom in your life and gives you the ability to follow your own path, but it does use a specific method. The exact path followed by each practitioner will be slightly different, but every one of them will have some things in common. They will all be trying to overcome obstacles with movement, and they will all be attempting to get past all the obstacles they face.
~ Dave

Trying to be a helping hand from NorthernParkour and the British Parkour Coaching Association
Dave
Alliance

Postby AntonyLamberton » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:41 am

i understand.....Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut

"It is the practice of overcoming obstacles with movement with the accompanying philosophy that all obstacles can be overcome."

Parkour doesnt tell you how to do it does it? how to overcome your obsticals?
Every person that does parkour does follow the same way that every obstical can be overcome, but they dont follow the same techniques.

I am here to show them the techniques that they can use, in a safe enviroment.
how did you learn parkour?
And what were you told?

and i didnt write all of that.
most of it was pulled off UFF and Other's.
AntonyLamberton
Traceur

Postby Dave » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:26 am

I suspected it was copied from somewhere. However, in future, if you want to refer to written information it's probably better to use more reliable sources as most of what you posted is clearly incorrect.

Part of coaching parkour involves helping make others aware of what movements are possible, but it also involves helping people learn to stay practical, efficient and useful. It's not about performing whatever movement you like, it's about chosing the most appropriate solution to a given situation.
All of the other activities mentioned, including freerunning, have different aims that contradict and work against those of parkour. To teach those is to work against the teaching of parkour.
~ Dave

Trying to be a helping hand from NorthernParkour and the British Parkour Coaching Association
Dave
Alliance

Postby AntonyLamberton » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:28 am

I understand that to help someone, you need experience in that field.
you need to know that you have enough experience to know that your help is viable.
But i dont need a qualification to show or know that.

I know what your saying dave, dont get me wrong i agree with you.

But i know i can help, and thats it.
AntonyLamberton
Traceur

Postby Dave » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:15 pm

Like it or not, the reality of the modern world is that almost every organisation and individual will require some proof of your experience and ability to coach before they will let you coach in a situation they are responsible for. To coach in a gym you are also going to need insurance. It is possible to get both these things without qualifications but it is a lot more difficult.

Another reality of life is that each person has their own set of thoughts and ideas, which differ from those of everyone else. Sure, you can get by with just your own set of ideas, but it always helps to get new ideas from other places. If you're serious about helping others then it is only sensible to try and offer the best help possible, and that means talking to others who are trying to do the same thing.
~ Dave

Dave
Alliance

Postby PolishPete » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:01 am

Myself, i still dont think i know exactly what parkour is, and i dont claim i can teach the philosophy properly, but i am able to teach movements incorporated with freerunning, and i am from harrogate, plus ive been to that gymnastics place you're talking about before but resigned as it was too expensive. Anyway. if this thing starts, i will be really happy if you could let me know, as i would like to attend it, or possibly help you teach it :)
Always room for improvement... Isnt Parkour just a long way to failure...? Theres always going to be something that we cant achieve.. or is there?.. :)
PolishPete
Traceur

Postby Edling » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:18 pm

Hi I'm 12 and i I just started parkour. So far I've only learnt from videos on YouTube and it's not really the same as going to a class/lesson. If this thing was going to run, would it cost and if so how much?
Edling
Traceur

Postby jackdavey123 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:15 pm

heyy, looks like the post was posted agess ago, but i live in harrogate and would appretiate something like this! every other reply seams to be someone trying to shoot you down but i would come along if soething ever got set up.

jack
jackdavey123
Traceur

Postby AntonyLamberton » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:35 am

Hey Guys, sorry for the looooooooong reply.

i did go and chat with the gym person and she said thjat it would have been fine to set up a class there as long as i had public liability insurance, which i didnt.

It would have cost me around £2,500 just to get the insurance as of the nature of the sport.

I no longer live in harrogate and have moved closer to the leeds and bradford area of Keighley.

Sorry for getting all your hopes up and shizz.

Maybe i could come up and train with you guys one day?

Cheers.
AntonyLamberton
Traceur

Postby Singlebound » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:16 pm

hi Anthony, i know you dont live in harrogate anymore, but i have insurance that would cover a session.

can you send me info on who you spoke to etc and maybe we can get something running for the community after all!

singlebound@hotmail.com
( http://www.singlebound.co.uk )
Singlebound
Traceur

Return to Leeds and West Yorkshire