Parkour and Perception

Discuss parkour in general, whatever your location.

Parkour and Perception

Postby Breislin1 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:14 pm

Hello Northern Parkour!

I am a Masters student writing a dissertation about Parkour and Perception. I am very interested in how a traçeurs perception of the environment is influenced by the practice of parkour. I would really appreciate your assistance by answering a short questionnaire in as much or little detail as you want. This can either be answered here on the forum or emailed to me at william.breislin@hotmail.co.uk

Thank you kindly! :D

Questionnaire:

What first interested you about parkour?

What do you currently find most rewarding about parkour?

Before you started practising parkour, how did you feel about your environment?

What do you think of now when you look at architecture/ your environment?:
(a) whilst practising parkour?
(b) when going about your every day life?

Has practising parkour affected your every day life? If so:
(a) what changes have you seen in your day to day life (either generally or specific examples)?
(b) what do you think caused this?

Please could you give an example of any experiences with parkour that enabled you to feel as though you had transcended or overcome something in your environment?
(a) What do you think may have caused this “transcendence”?

Unlike skateboarding or BMX, you use your body as an instrument to physically engage with the environment. Do you feel that this has had an impact on how you think about and understand your environment?
Breislin1
Traceur

Re: Parkour and Perception

Postby derrobin » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:02 pm

Hej!

Although I am from Germany and my English is not the best I´ll try to help you with your
dissertation. I try to answer the Questions as comprehensible and appropriate as possible.

Greeting,

Robin

What first interested you about parkour?

I heard about Parkour several Years ago but never had enough interest in it to start.
There was one keymoment in the Forest when I realized how weak I was when I tried to climb a Tree.
So I decided to build up my strength and my ability to move around in uncomfortable Tarrain.

What do you currently find most rewarding about parkour?

The best thing on doing Parkour is that you feel your Body adapting to the new movements very quickly. It is great to feel muscles you never "used" before. To feel you whole Body gaining strength in a very natural way. The ability to move more secure, confident and faster in your environment knowing that you have got a little reserve in case of emergency is a big reward, too.

Before you started practising parkour, how did you feel about your environment?

Before I started practising Parcour I felt very disappointed about all the fences, walls and Buildings. It was a feeling near claustrophobia in some situations.

What do you think of now when you look at architecture/ your environment?:
(a) whilst practising parkour?

I think: What a great Playground. I feel happy about every small and big abstacle figuring out.

(b) when going about your every day life?

In every day life it is nearly the same feeling as "a". I recognised I am much more aware of my environment. I walk over the Streets and public open spaces much more awaken.

Has practising parkour affected your every day life? If so:
(a) what changes have you seen in your day to day life (either generally or specific examples)?

I am less afraid of any problems. I concentrate less on the Problem itselve but on various solutions. I am less lazy and give callenges to myselve every day in nearly every Situation. Getting better and better and improveing myselve is my purpose.

(b) what do you think caused this?

For me it is the mental element of Parkour which is often underestimated.
In Parkour you have to deal with small and big problems. If you fail, you have to reflect what went wrong you have to control your mind (fear) and you have to try again and again since you are successful.
Another reason is that I learned (and still do learn) to discipline myselve. (such as to repeat one movement over and over again to gain secureness and walk the way to perfection)

Please could you give an example of any experiences with parkour that enabled you to feel as though you had transcended or overcome something in your environment?
(a) What do you think may have caused this “transcendence”?

Sorry, I can not tell you anything about that.

Unlike skateboarding or BMX, you use your body as an instrument to physically engage with the environment. Do you feel that this has had an impact on how you think about and understand your environment?

I dont feel myselve trapped in my environment. I feel more free an being able to Interact in it.
Stay focused on what you want and you will be successful!
derrobin
Traceur

Re: Parkour and Perception

Postby Breislin1 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:37 pm

Thank you Robin, very useful information. Don't worry about the English, I could understand it perfectly :) much better than my German! Cheers.
Breislin1
Traceur

Return to Parkour Talk