Keep Training Despite Injury

Discuss parkour in general, whatever your location.

Keep Training Despite Injury

Postby Eddy-Cross » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:35 am

Hello, I have recently recoverd from a broken arm and dislocated wrist on my left arm, after an unfortunate accsident envolving my push bike ... anyway I find myself missing parkour and i was wondering if there is any kind of training i could do that whouldnt need my left arm to much. i can bend it slightly at the wrist and the elbow is fine, im fairly new to the practice having only found parkour last summer (2010) anyway any advice whould be deeply apreciated, and i cant wait to get back out and jumping, running, climing all over again after my six weeks of phisio :) Also I whould like to know how much of a risk is continuing training despite the handicap, i hope this will spark intresting conversation and help me out :)
thanks people :) Eddy X
"I've Lost My Fear Of Falling" - Gerard Way :)
Eddy-Cross
Traceur

Re: Keep Training Despite Injury

Postby Dave » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:17 am

Injured areas need to rest in order to heal, and if you keep using them they won't heal properly and will give you lasting problems. If you want to be fit and healthy in the future, don't go doing challenging things with injured body parts.

You can still train while injured, but you need to find obstacles that you can get past without using your injured area. More importantly, they also need to be obstacles where you won't be tempted to use your injured area even if you make a mistake.
~ Dave

Trying to be a helping hand from NorthernParkour and the British Parkour Coaching Association
Dave
Alliance

Postby Eddy-Cross » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:52 pm

Okay :( Its a shame that I can't resume training, i really miss just going out and being free to test myself, but thanks Dave your right and ill probably just go for runs and jump over benches and small objects until I can clime, grab and pull again, its bad news but I suppose its what is needed, Thanks Dave :) Much Appreciated
Eddy X :)
Eddy-Cross
Traceur

Postby mcquade » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:36 pm

[quote="Dave"]Injured areas need to rest in order to heal{/quote]
Not always :)
Some injuries, like sprains, require mobility and light exercise in order to heal efficiently. Resting a small sprain wont do it much good at all.

Peace
Jumps first, internet discussion later... Much later.
mcquade
Traceur

Postby David Bray » Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:21 pm

Agree with McQuade. Unless it's something significant, train it lightly. You move the muscles out of comfort zones and force them to heal more quickly. However, don't be a dick and over-do it, thinking you can do exactly the same amount. Dial it back a little, but don't slack off.
David Bray
Traceur

Postby Will » Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:25 pm

Train harder if you get injured.
Will
Traceur

Postby Eddy-Cross » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:11 am

i have gained the ability to bend it fully by now and im just srtuggleing with vaults and pushing myself up climing movements ect. i can put small amounts of weight on it and im still soacking and streching it like the doctor advised
Eddy-Cross
Traceur

Postby Dave » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:25 am

All injuries need rest to heal, but yes, they do also need blood flow, and yes, at some point they will also need to gradually return to action in order to regain functionality.

Giving a mild sprain total rest won't let it strengthen up for normal use again, but treating even a mild injury like it doesn't exist tends to result in making the injury worse. In some ways it's like any training situation, you have to judge how far you can push it without causing more damage. The difference being that sudden drop in capability that leaves you a little bit unsure of what it can take, so it makes sense to proceed cautiously.
~ Dave

Trying to be a helping hand from NorthernParkour and the British Parkour Coaching Association
Dave
Alliance

Postby Echo » Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:46 pm

Your physio should beable to give to mobility exercises for your arm so you can start to build its movement and strength back up, until then you should be avoid impact and exercises that load on the arm.

Think of it of a chance to focus on other aspects of your fitness like strength, cardio, flexibility and endurance rather than movement technique.

Having a rest every now and then is good for you as well, you'll never know I'd your overtraining until you give yourself a week off.
Echo
Traceur

Postby derrobin » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:03 pm

I think your Arm is more or less recovered now.
But for more general purpose:

I suffered a acromioclavicular explosion in March. Very Painful...takes long time to recover.(Is still not completely painless)
But I used the time I was absolutely not able to use my left arm to improve my skills in jumping and landing more precisely (short distances...going on further during the healing process) and in balancing on rails and small "Objects".
Parkour is not just doing dangerous things using your whole Body.
Do the things you are able to do without pain and too much risk...but be focused on it and try to improve your skills!
Walking down or up the Stairs is Parkour, too if you try to walk as silent as possible down. (Or you try to walk them up leaving out as much stairs possible without using your arms)

Listen to your Body!

Just a few thoughts! ;-)

Robin
Stay focused on what you want and you will be successful!
derrobin
Traceur

Return to Parkour Talk