fitocracy

Discuss parkour in general, whatever your location.

fitocracy

Postby SpiderSprog » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:52 pm

Hi all,
I thought some of you may be interested in this. http://www.fitocracy.com
Its a fitness tracking community that allows you to log your workouts and earn xp and level up.
I've found it to be quite motivational and I'm hoping it will be the catlyst to get me fit enough for parkour (without injury) again. Since I've moved back to Newcastle I havent trained much, partly due to injry leading to a drop in fitness, and also the scene is a little young in Newcastle. I like how parkour is an open community and open to all ages but I still feel a bit awkward hanging around with only kids jumping off things at the age of 28.

Anyway I digress... Fitocracy is in closed beta at the min but I have some invites.
use this link http://ftcy.co/nLcjDO. When you sign up you get 10 invites so post your invte links here and share the joy we could even start a northern parkour group on there and track stats together.

SpiderSprog (Chris)
It's much more fulfilling to better yourself than to beat someone else.

http://www.pkhotspots.com/
SpiderSprog
Traceur

Re: fitocracy

Postby Oldboy » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:46 am

Q.1.

A level 29 orc killed me with a 2h dyno, so I need to level up my fitness XP so i can use the flag spell, how many muscleups do i need to slay? or i am just better off doing precisions to level up?
Oldboy
Local Area Moderator

Postby Robin_a » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:54 am

hahaha I enjoyed that very much :lol:
Robin_a
Traceur

Postby Dave » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:17 am

Call me crazy if you like, but I'm pretty certain that exercise is it's own reward.

Fitocracy seems to be missing the point of exercise somewhat.
~ Dave

Trying to be a helping hand from NorthernParkour and the British Parkour Coaching Association
Dave
Alliance

Postby Rob-F » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:20 pm

Can I lie to it and get xp? I mean will the xp still improve my fitness without ever exercising? This sounds great!

EDIT: Oh man this is great! I've already gained the ability to run 15 miles in an hour amongst other feats!

Also, I'm now ranked number 1 for the last 30 days.
NOT BAD FOR A DAYS WORKOUT.
Rob-F
Traceur

Postby dr.havoc » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:39 pm

If i really wanted to level up i rather get to world 5 on super mario bros other than that, the rewards are my training goals :D
dr.havoc
Traceur

Postby SpiderSprog » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:26 pm

Well it's there if you want it, I just thought some people here may be interested.
I find it to be a usefull traiing aid, and a way to challange myself.

I dont use it purely for the on site "rewards" like levelling up and achievments, if that was the case I could jus post a billion miles of running in a day like Rob-F did :-p , they are just ways to help motivate me to achieve my actual fitness goals.

At the end of the day it can be usefull and a bit of fun too if you want to use it. If your not interested just leave it be.
It's much more fulfilling to better yourself than to beat someone else.

http://www.pkhotspots.com/
SpiderSprog
Traceur

Postby Dave » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:29 am

I appreciate that fitocracy provides motivation, however I think the motivation that it provides is a bad motivation. If you're not motivated by the intrinsic benefits of exercise then that means that there is some part of you that doesn't want to do it. Any other motivation you can find to force you to do it will therefore always end up working against a part of you and that creates internal conflict, frustration and unhappiness. At the heart of everything good that you can achieve with self-development is integrity, a consistency of purpose and of thought which allows benefits in one area to spread to other areas.

The only good motivation is your own, internal motivation. The benefits of that far outweigh the difficulties in finding it and learning to use it.
~ Dave

Trying to be a helping hand from NorthernParkour and the British Parkour Coaching Association
Dave
Alliance

Return to Parkour Talk