Dealing with authorities (Nth time)

Discuss parkour in general, whatever your location.

Dealing with authorities (Nth time)

Postby Zanchito » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:39 pm

Well, I just came back from a training session with a friend, and we had an encounter with the police. I'm training with a beginner friend and we had been doing some wallruns and climbing on top of stuff (public places, not private property, mind you), and two policemen in motorbikes come to us. Awesome... :? I hop look at them come close and hop back down to the ground carefully and slowly, to let them know I don't feel I'm doing anything I should hide and I'm in control of my movements, not just doing dangerous things (police are entitled to prevent me to do something that might hurt myself or others).

So, I walk towards them with a mild smile and greet them.
- Good afternoon, sir.

The policemen weren't in the best of moods, they skipped the greetings and questioned us bluntly.
- What were you doing up there?

My mind races with the possibility of explaining about parkour. I quickly dismiss the idea, they are just not in the mood to appretiate it. I still keep my smile, smiling makes people more relaxed.
- We are climbing and doing some exercise, sir. Are we bothering anyone?

Now I see he is not changing his face a single bit, so he's not happy with the reply. I go on before he gets the chance to raise his anger. Still smiling, still in a polite but firm voice.
- See, this wall is made of stone, so it's very solid and we are not going to damage it. It is very dirty too, we wouldn't climb onto any painted surface, that' would be very wrong. It is a safe place and we stop practicing when people come close so they don't have to worry about us falling or anything.

This finally sinks into the policemen. My mate and I are over 30, and we're wearing sports clothes. Not being confrontational, respecting them and letting them know we know what we are doing defuses the situation.
- Oh, I see. Well, you see, people see you up there and they call us...

At this point he's 50% annoyed, 50% understanding.
- Oh, that's okay, sir, I'm sorry we have worried anyone, we're just doing some exercise. We can leave if you want.

Now he's starting to feel guilty...
- It's not that, just people are calling us, you understand.
- No worries, sir, we understand you, we will leave the place now. *And keep smiling*
- Okay. Goodbye!
- Have a nice afternoon!

So we left, moved a few blocks down the street and chose a more private place to finish our training. We switched from climbing and wallrunning to vaults and strength exercises, and it was a good session.

Now, we weren't doing anything illegal, we weren't damaging anything and we weren't bothering anyone. But what good can come from antagonizing the police? Not much. It's better to let them be calm, let them know we're cool people who can be talked to and tacitly explain that we're leaving because we're SO nice, not because we feel we're doing anything wrong.

Seriously, chaps, if anyone (policeman or just random passer-by) comes and starts giving you crap, smile back, be polite even if they aren't, don't lose your cool and if they can't be reasoned with, just leave without much fuss. You can train anywhere, looking for new places is fun and if you have been nice, you can train there another day and they probably won't bother you half as much. :D
Zanchito
Traceur

Re: Dealing with authorities (Nth time)

Postby Natterz » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:04 pm

good example, and obviously being nice to them also means they're less likely to make you move on from a favourite spot etc, In manchester we've built up quite a good relationship with various authorities, which means they know we don't damage property etc, so they let us carry on training etc, as long as we stick to some guidelines, stay away from certain places etc, Ive also got a bit of a relationship with the police near me, i stay away from certain buildings/areas, and they don't mind me training in others...

glad to see people dont get worked up about nothing, and take things with a good frame of mind etc...its better to do this than argue, as then you just mess it up for everyone...

well done :D
x
"Wheres the flapjack???"
"Why dont you just have cat food? Its chicken and jelly flavoured, and only 35p!!!!!!!!!"
Natterz
Traceur

Postby Liamm » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:33 am

My friends and I regularly have authority figures talking to us, we once got asked (by a female officer ;) ) if we had any before and after pics of our bodies... We were topless and doing some strength training under a shelter and she came over, it was a funny :lol:
We like to have a regular chat and a laugh with the police, it just shows them we aren't out to damage anything or scare the public, we're just out to practice, have a good time, and learn :)
It also brings back some decency for young people, showing adults that we aren't all ASBO loving crackheads (be honest, a fair majority of todays youth are :roll: )
Liamm
Traceur

Postby itbeme » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:51 pm

I have this problem too, there is this public building in the place i live and me and my friend do parkour there. we don't climb on it much, we kinda just leap from one like bit of kirb onto a stone and that sorta thing. like really low ground non dangerous stuff. and the guy came out from the building (i think its a printers or something) and he had a go at us. i explain what we were doing but he wasn't having any of it. so we went back a week later and he just burst out and yelled at us and we saw there assent any point reasoning because he was yelling so we ran. the building is quite unfriendly, it already has like a "no ball games" sine and and one of those boxes that make the high pitched noises to deter teenagers. so any advice anyone?
Trying to get better and stronger with each day.
itbeme
Traceur

Postby Dave » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:21 pm

Yes. Read the first post and follow the advice there. Be friendly, polite, and helpful. If you're annoying other people, go train somewhere else where you won't be.
~ Dave

Trying to be a helping hand from NorthernParkour and the British Parkour Coaching Association
Dave
Alliance

Postby cupofcoldtea » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:03 am

Wow, isit me or are security guards getting alot more aggressive these days.
Defeat is a state of mind. No-one is ever truly defeated until they accept defeat as a reality - Bruce Lee
cupofcoldtea
Traceur

Postby FlyBoy » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:16 pm

No, rent-a-cops got a power trip on. 90% of people dont care what we do 7% are interested and 3% are full of crap. But what can we do? Run where your free, if someone complains,move. Treat people like parkour and take the path of least resistance. :D
We Run This City.
FlyBoy
Traceur

Postby bateson » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:20 pm

FlyBoy wrote:take the path of least resistance. :D

totaly the opposite of parkour as this would be the way in witch you follow
that set path that we all know have been worn down by lifetimes of use:wink:
bateson
Traceur

Postby TicTac » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:51 pm

Cant say much else other than to emphasise again to be polite and walk away from it if things turn bad.

I have only had one encounter with cops and yeah, we lost a training spot, but we came out of it better off in a sense, because he went away with a better understanding of what we do and even made suggestions on where to go, who to speak to and so on. Left on very friendly terms! But despite losing that one spot, we have now found 4 new spots, just had to open our eyes.

Interestingly enough I looked into some general law not so that I could "fight back" but so I could be more aware of what to improve on or do to avoid confrontations in the future and so far its work great.
TicTac
Traceur

Postby Natterz » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:26 pm

and?
what were your conclusions of this research?
in case anyone else is interested...as it could be helpful knowing what the law says, our rights etc...?
"Wheres the flapjack???"
"Why dont you just have cat food? Its chicken and jelly flavoured, and only 35p!!!!!!!!!"
Natterz
Traceur

Postby itbeme » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:23 pm

hmm yeah is there a link to any type of like law detailing property and that kinda thing? thanks. :)
itbeme
Traceur

Postby TicTac » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:20 pm

Check out the recent post I made at ceredigionparkour.blogspot.com or go to the source at https://www.pnld.co.uk/docportal/Content/@2.htm which is where it came from. Sorry, completely forgot to post a link. Had the laws I ran across confirmed by a cop I know locally.
TicTac
Traceur

Postby Natterz » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:29 pm

cheers :D
very helpful, and definately useful :D
"Wheres the flapjack???"
Natterz
Traceur

Postby itbeme » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:26 am

Im lost on the site, where do i go? hehe
itbeme
Traceur

Postby TicTac » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:25 am

https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/default.mth try going there and going to your local police website in case there are any bylaws locally.
TicTac
Traceur

Postby Natterz » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:31 pm

or look at the first one he put...
http://www.ceredigionparkour.blogspot.com
:)
"Wheres the flapjack???"
Natterz
Traceur

Postby Kevvers » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:01 pm

Hi

Can i use some of this in the script i'm writing?

see
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4659
for more details.

Kevvers
Kevvers
Traceur

Postby Rob-F » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:37 pm

No.
Rob-F
Traceur

Postby FlyBoy » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:45 am

Bateson, The path of least resistance is also the quickest and easiest. Its easier to vault a railing than walk round it,right? Thats why I practice parkour to make my life easier, im fitter and usually get where Im going faster then other people. Thats my take anyway, its the same with people who challenge you (about some things at least) that getting out of the way or simply taking the easy option makes life less complicated. Sorry Im off topic but thats my Gung Fu.
We Run This City.
FlyBoy
Traceur

Postby gravityz3ro » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:58 pm

This happened to me... similarly anyways, now i only train on the roofs of buildings, because of the pipes and air conditioning units are very good for any type of exercise. They actually assiged a police officer on my "case" and they have a file of me down at the police station. Last i counted, when someone called the police, there were 7 squad cars, two firetrucks, and three ambulances. There are more cars every time the cops get called. I do everything solo, so i just run away and shit. i never got caught, nor do i plan on getting caught. So if the cops bother you, ignoe them, and when like squad cars come, get ready to use what you practised in the real world. (getting away from cops) :twisted:
gravityz3ro
Traceur

Next

Return to Parkour Talk