No Excuses 2 (Even Fewer Excuses?)

Discuss parkour in general, whatever your location.

No Excuses 2 (Even Fewer Excuses?)

Postby Dave » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:08 pm

So after a few years break we've restarted the old favourite. More or less the same rules apply.

Rules:
There are 6 challenges each week.
Each challenge is set in such a way that the difficulty scales to each individual.
You must complete all challenges within the week.
You have to complete an individual challenge in one go, but you can leave as big a gap between challenges as you like.
Each week one exercise is made harder, and another one is replaced.
You have 7 days to do the challenges, so you have NO EXCUSES for not completing them

Week 1 - Monday 14th September
1. Ladder Climbups - Do one climbup, then two in a row, and then keep increasing by one until you can't increase any more. Then do one less climbup each time until you reach zero. 30 Second break between sets.
2. Stairs jumping - Do 10 jumps up 1 step at a time, and then 10 jumps back down one at a time. Then do 10 jumps up 2 steps at a time, and back down 2 at a time. Repeat the 10 jumps, adding one step to each jump until you can't add any more. Then repeat removing one step each time until you reach zero.
3. Wallruns - Touch your fingers as high up a wall as you can. Repeat x 20 taking off from each leg (=40 total wallruns).
4. Traverse (waist position) - Traverse as far as you can in one direction in 1 minute. Then go back in the other direction the same distance (however long it takes). (Waist position means supporting yourself on your hands, with you upper body above the top of the wall and your legs below, so the top edge of the wall is by your waist)
5. Crawl - Crawl forwards as far as you can in 2 minutes. Then crawl that route backwards in the other direction.
6. Balance - Balance on a rail on one leg for as long as you can. X2 on each leg.

Week 2 - Monday 21st September
1. Ladder Climbups - Do one climbup, then two in a row, and then keep increasing by one until you can't increase any more. Then do one less climbup each time until you reach zero. 30 Second break between sets.
2. Stairs jumping - Do 10 jumps up 1 step at a time, and then 10 jumps back down one at a time. Then do 10 jumps up 2 steps at a time, and back down 2 at a time. Repeat the 10 jumps, adding one step to each jump until you can't add any more. Then repeat removing one step each time until you reach zero.
3. Wallruns - Touch your fingers as high up a wall as you can. Repeat x 20 taking off from each leg (=40 total wallruns).
4. Traverse (waist position) - Traverse as far as you can in one direction in 1 minute. Then go back in the other direction the same distance (however long it takes). Repeat x2 (Waist position means supporting yourself on your hands, with you upper body above the top of the wall and your legs below, so the top edge of the wall is by your waist)
5. Sprinting - Pick two points. Sprint back and forth between them until you can't maintain a sprint for the whole distance. Repeat x 6.
6. Balance - Balance on a rail on one leg for as long as you can. X2 on each leg.

Week 3 - Monday 28th September
3. Wallruns - Touch your fingers as high up a wall as you can. Repeat x 30 taking off from each leg (=60 total wallruns).
4. Traverse (waist position) - Traverse as far as you can in one direction in 1 minute. Then go back in the other direction the same distance (however long it takes).Repeat x2 (Waist position means supporting yourself on your hands, with you upper body above the top of the wall and your legs below, so the top edge of the wall is by your waist)
5. Sprinting - Pick two points. Sprint back and forth between them until you can't maintain a sprint for the whole distance. Repeat x 6.
6. Lazy vaults - Pick a wall/rail of a challenging height and lazy vault over it. 50 times on each leg (100 total)

Week 4 - Monday 5th October
1. Muscle ups - As many muscle ups are you can do in one go (or as close as you can get to one) x 3
2. Stairs jumping - Do 10 jumps up 1 step at a time, and then 10 jumps back down one at a time. Then do 10 jumps up 2 steps at a time, and back down 2 at a time. Repeat the 10 jumps, adding one step to each jump until you can't add any more. Then repeat removing one step each time until you reach zero. Then repeat the whole exercise again
3. Wallruns - Touch your fingers as high up a wall as you can. Repeat x 30 taking off from each leg (=60 total wallruns).
4. Traverse (waist position) - Traverse as far as you can in one direction in 1 minute. Then go back in the other direction the same distance (however long it takes).Repeat x2 (Waist position means supporting yourself on your hands, with you upper body above the top of the wall and your legs below, so the top edge of the wall is by your waist)
6. Lazy vaults - Pick a wall/rail of a challenging height and lazy vault over it. 50 times on each leg (100 total)
~ Dave

Trying to be a helping hand from NorthernParkour and the British Parkour Coaching Association
Dave
Alliance

Re: No Excuses 2 (Even Fewer Excuses?)

Postby Dave » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:28 pm

Week 1 review.
We split the challenges over two sessions.

Thursday:
1. Ladder Climbups - It's been a long while since I've done this many set of climbups one after the other and I'm not as good as I used to be at dealing with the short rest period. I failed on the 9th set, and it seemed to keep getting harder until I was back down to 4. On the plus side, my arms felt great the following session. Still a good exercise, even after all these years :)
2. Stairs jumping - Couldn't quite make it up 6 steps by this point in the session, so completed it to 5.
5. Crawl - We chose to crawl forwards down a big flight of stairs and then finish on the flat at the bottom. This made the backwards crawl a great exercise as we had to crawl backwards up lots of stairs when our arms were most tired. I'd tested this exercise earlier just on the flat and found it relatively straightforward, so the stairs were a good addition.
6. Balance - The final exercise of the evening took a lot longer to complete than expected. We thought balance would be harder with tired legs but some of the sets lasted a long time and caused the session to over run by about half an hour. For me, keeping my balance was easier than dealing with the pain of being stood on one foot on a rail for that long, and so I chose to step off when the pain reached dangerous levels rather than fell off. An odd exercise, in that respect. Other people found it more of a balance challenge, but ended up doing more sets than needed.

Saturday
My arms were still tired from Thursday, but even with the ache they felt great. I think it was due to them remembering the joy of multiple climbup sets!
3. Wallruns - We had a few interruptions due to conversations with a number of passers-by, who had varied attitudes to what we were doing. Nevertheless, we finished it eventually. It's quite explosive on the legs, and the consensus was we found our legs were substantially weaker than normal for the rest of the session. Interestingly, I was reaching a similar height taking off from each foot.
4. Traverse (waist position) - This exercise felt nice, but was very short. We all did it on our own stretch of the same wall, and went back and forth rather than continue in one direction to the time limit. I think this probably balanced the directional nature of the exercise better than the original idea. I managed 6.2 times along my section in the minute, and I had to stop a couple of times before I could complete the return journey. A nice exercise, but ripe for making harder.
~ Dave

Trying to be a helping hand from NorthernParkour and the British Parkour Coaching Association
Dave
Alliance

Postby Dave » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:02 am

Week 2 review

Part 1 - Tuesday
1. Ladder Climbups - Failed on the 9th climbup of the 10th set this time. My arms are slowly warming back into this exercise, although there is still a bit to go.
2. Stairs jumping - Made it up to set 6. Seems to be a slight cardio challenge rather than anything else. Not sure it's an effective challenge right now.
3. Balance - Made it shorter this week by doing pistols when I got bored. It's a nice break from other types of challenge but not sure how useful it is.
~ Dave

Dave
Alliance

Postby Mia » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:50 pm

Review

Week 1 - Monday 14th September

1. Ladder Climbups - struggled. Couldn't do more than 1. Didn't enjoy doing it at all as it was so difficult but determined to improve. (THURS 17)
2. Stairs jumping - Max = 4 stairs, repeated 10 jumps of 4 steps a few times until others were closer to finishing. (THURS 17)
3. Wallruns - Not done this much before, need to work on technique. Didn't tire me too much as I wasn't able to get that high. (SAT 19)
4. Traverse (waist position) - Found this difficult and tiring, but a good exercise. (SAT 19)
5. Crawl - Enjoyed having to use the stairs, added a level of difficulty. Would like to do more of this. (THURS 17)
6. Balance - Enjoyed this, couldn't last for long on either leg due to lack of balance but would like to practice more. (THURS 17)

Week 2 - Monday 21st September
1. Ladder Climbups - continued to struggle with this, but managed 2 in a row this time, which is an improvement. Didn't enjoy doing as found it very difficult but would like to work on this. (TUES 22)
2. Stairs jumping - Didn't improve on my maximum of 4 stairs but my aim with this is to jump 4 stairs 10 times at a continuous pace, as I'm not able to do this continuously at the mo. (TUES 22)
3. Wallruns - My technique is improving, but still struggle to get much height. Aim to reach a predetermined height by the end of the year. Again, didn't find it that tiring. (TUES 29)
4. Traverse (waist position) - Improved my distance. (TUES 29)
5. Sprinting - Didn't enjoy doing this but (THURS 1)

6. Balance - Improved time on both legs, felt pain in each foot as I was holding the position. Not that important an exercise but would like to continue practising. (TUES 22)

Week 3 - Monday 28th September
1. Ladder Climbups - I find these really difficult to do generally, but currently manage max of 2. I repeat up to 2 and down again, twice but maybe I should continue to repeat this until everyone else has finished as I'm generally waiting on others to finish as others can do much more. Personal goal = max of 4 climbups by the end of this year - not sure if that's an unreasonable goal but happy to have it for myself as an aim. (THURS 1)
2. Stairs jumping - yet to be completed.
3. Wallruns - yet to be completed.

4. Traverse (waist position) - Glad we're doing 2 sets of this now. Find it much easier than I first did. My aim is to cover a greater distance each week. (SAT 3)
5. Sprinting - I find motivation to sprint quite difficult, but think it's important for me to continue practising. Aim = cover more distance each week. (SAT 3)
6. Lazy vaults - Couldn't find a rail that was challenging so completed 50 on each leg on at a height that I can manage. I didn't seem to struggle with tiredness as I was doing more and more, so would like to find a slightly higher rail next time I complete this. Wast still good to focus on my technique and feel more comfortable with these generally. (THURS 1)

Week 4 - Monday 5th October
1. Muscle ups -
2. Stairs jumping -
3. Wallruns -
4. Traverse (waist position) -
5. Sprinting -
6. Lazy vaults -

QUESTIONS:
- I need to work on completing all 6 exercises WITHIN the week and not leaving them until afterwards as this defies the point, I guess?
- I'm also not particularly enjoying the fact that most of the arranged sessions (Tues, Thurs, Sat) get taken over by these No Excuses exercises and so would like to suggest we aim to complete 1 on Tuesdays, 1 on Thursdays and 2 (or more) on Saturdays, which leaves at most 2 to complete outside of sessions (depending on how many we do on Saturdays). I'd like to use sessions to be a bit more free to experiment and explore, what do others think?
Mia
Traceur

Postby Obsidian » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:27 pm

Just for the record, I have been doing my own version of the no excuses training for the last few months. Participants at the conditioning sessions have been fairly scarce of late so I've been doing my own training, still at the usual time and place. Hopefully the better weather will start to entice a few more people out soon!
Correct the wise man and he will thank you. Correct the fool and he will attack you.
http://obsidianpkav.blogspot.com/
Obsidian

Return to Parkour Talk